Understanding Quantum Spin Number vs Angular Momentum

In summary, it seems that quantum spin number only describes certain properties of particles, while angular momentum is a relative physical quantity. It seems that electrons have angular momentum, but it is different from their quantum spin number.
tashi
hi,
i am trying to work out exactly what is the difference in quantum mechanics between
1) spin, as in 'angular momentum' and
2) spin as in 'quantum spin number'.

It seems like quantum spin number only describes certain properties, like whether a particle is a fermion or a boson (so it wouldn't make any difference if we labelled different 'spins' 'apples' and 'pears' rather than '1,2,3' or '1½,2½,3½..') while angular momentum seems to be a relative physical quantity -- i.e. a particle with angular momentum, say 3, has 'higher' angular momentum than one with angular momentum 1, and one with angular momentum 2 is somewhere imbetween. Is that correct?

From what I've read some sources seem to say these two values are independent. Elsewhere I've heard that quantum 'spin number' is actually just the z-component of the angular momentum of the particle, and the spin number is a way of describing the way the particle is actually physically spinning. Any clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin has nothing to do with actually physical spinning. And it is not the z-component of the angular momentum L. What the folks elsewhere told you are not correct.

so what is spin?

What it really is? I have no idea. Since you're asking this question I take it that intrisic angular momentum probably isn't a sufficient answer but that's the best one I can give. I don't know what mass or charge really are either but they are properities of particles too.

The problem is that in the "micro-world", electrons, muons, etc., our basic concepts of size, shape and all just don't work. An electron is NOT a little ball and it simply makes no sense to talk about it "spinning". The "spin" of an electron is a property that appears to be important (for example, in distinguishing between fermions and bosons). It is called spin because spins happen to combine "vectorially" in the way that angular momentum does in the "macro-world". There is a completely different property that combines in the same way and is called "iso-spin". Yet another property seems to have 3 "basis" components much the way our eyes see colors in terms of Red, Blue, Green and, so, is referred to as "color". I'm sure you understand that the "charm" of an elementary particle has nothing to do with our usual meaning of the word "charm"!

thanks guys.
so do electrons have angular momentum then?
if so, is this different from their quantum spin number?

Yes and yes. Oh and when you say spin quantum number you should just say spin because even though the quantum number contains information about the spin state it's still just a number.

The "spin" quantum numbers [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]m_s[/itex] are related to the allowed values of the magnitude and z-component of the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle:

[tex]S = \sqrt{s(s+1)} \hbar[/tex]

[tex]S_z = m_s\hbar[/tex]

For an electron, with [itex]s = 1/2[/itex] and [itex]m_s = \pm 1/2[/itex], these give

[tex]S = \frac {\sqrt{3}}{2} \hbar[/tex]

[tex]S_z = \pm \frac{1}{2} \hbar[/tex]

Although an electron is not a little tiny ball spinning around its own axis, [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]S_z[/itex] do, neverthess, specify real, physical angular momentum which can be added to macroscopic angular momentum, and which figures into conservation of total angular momentum of a macroscopic system. This has been observed experimentally, in the Einstein-de Haas effect. (try a google search on both "einstein de haas effect" and "einstein dehaas effect")

Last edited:
The quantum theory of angular momentum is nothing else but representation theory of [itex] SU(2)/su(2) [/itex] in the context of Wigner's theorem, that is: one's searching only for unitary symmetry group representations.

The electron's spin angular momentum is found elegantly by deducing the [itex] \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}} [/itex] approximation of Dirac's equation.

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between quantum spin number and angular momentum?

Quantum spin number and angular momentum are both quantum mechanical properties of particles. However, quantum spin number refers specifically to the intrinsic spin of a particle, while angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of a particle.

2. How are quantum spin number and angular momentum related?

Quantum spin number is a component of angular momentum, along with orbital angular momentum. The total angular momentum of a particle is the sum of its quantum spin and orbital angular momentum.

3. How is quantum spin number measured?

Quantum spin number is measured in units of h/2π, where h is the Planck constant. It is a quantized property, meaning that it can only take on certain discrete values, such as 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc.

4. How does quantum spin number affect the behavior of particles?

Quantum spin number determines the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, which affects its magnetic properties and interactions with other particles. Particles with different quantum spin numbers will have different behaviors and interactions.

5. Can quantum spin number change?

No, quantum spin number is a fundamental property of a particle and cannot be changed. However, the direction of a particle's quantum spin can be changed, which is known as spin flip or spin precession.