1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum - Square barrier (help!)

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    Question:

Determine the transmission coefficient for a rectangular barrier. Treat separately the three cases E<0, E=Vo, E>Vo (note that the wave function inside the barrier is different in the three cases.
    and
    V(x) = Vo > 0 for -a < x < a
    = 0 for |x| > a

I attempted to do this like the finite square well and do it per "zone", because I'm not sure how to go about dealing with the energy first.

If I call - infinity -> -a "zone 1" and the potential there is zero, the general solution should be:
    [tex]\varphi[/tex] = A[tex]e^{-kx}[/tex] + B[tex]e^{kx}[/tex], but the first term blows up to -infinity, so we're left with
    [tex]\varphi[/tex] = B[tex]e^{kx}[/tex].

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this logic?
    For E<Vo and x < -a [tex]\varphi[/tex] should include both A and B and be imaginary, but I don't know why.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    I'm sure it's apparent that this is from a textbook, (Griffiths 2.33) but it is study, not homework. Please don't disregard on that basis.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    To generalize a little bit more, this is is my basic question... why is the incoming wave to a square barrier complex?

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Nevermind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook