Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quantum State Tomography

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume there is a source of some pre-selected atoms. When measuring atoms of that source in a Stern-Gerlach, you find the following probabilities for a spin-up result:

x-direction 5/6
    y-direction 5/6
    z-direction 1/3

Which state would you ascribe to the source?

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the atoms be:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    \alpha \\
    \beta \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Decomposing in the z-basis we get that the probability amplitudes for up and down are [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|\beta|^2[/tex], respectively.

From this we find that [tex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]\beta = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex]

Ok this is where Im confused, my textbook says we need to do a measurement in all 3 directions, but I got these values with just the z result?

If someone could explain this to me itd be a big help, im stuck :(

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful, you have not actually found α and β. You have found |α| and |β|. There is a complex phase factor still to be accounted for.

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Hmmm, ok well what I have here is, if |a|2 + |b|2 = 1, then |a|2 - |b|2 is a number between 1 and -1, so we write:

|a|2 - |b|2 = cos 2x, where x is between 0 and pi/2

then

|a|2 = 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2) + 1/2 (|a|2 - |b|2)
    |a|2 = 1/2 + 1/2 (cos 2x) = cos2x

and similarly

|b|2 = sin2x

so then

[tex]\alpha = e^i^\varphi cos x[/tex]
    [tex]\beta = e^i^\phi sinx[/tex]

and then these are the phase factors you are talking about? I know they have magnitude 1, but Im not sure I know how to proceed from here :S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook