Can Scalars Represent Quantum States Effectively?

In summary: I guess I'll have to read a QM textbook then.Thanks for your view.I guess I'll have to read a QM textbook then.
tenchotomic
Title may sound weird,but I think it might be worth exploring

In axiomatic formulation of quantum mechanics, quantum states are postulated as vectors residing in Hilbert space.
The only apriori requirement that Iam aware of ,for a quantity to qualify as a quantum state, is that it should obey principle of superposition ,which a scalar quantity would obey as good as a vector.
Then why don't we take quantum states as scalars?

What I think could be the reason:
Quantum states are characterized by certain dynamical variables
In standard formalism we represent dynamical variables as operators acting as linear transformation on vectors.
Now,scalars are not operated on by operators,so by taking scalars as quantum states we can no longer characterize a quantum state by physically observable properties,which would render it meaningless.

I would really like to know whether my answer is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
tenchotomic said:

No, not even close -- sorry.

In axiomatic formulation of quantum mechanics, quantum states are postulated as vectors residing in Hilbert space.
The only apriori requirement that I am aware of ,for a quantity to qualify as a quantum state, is that it should obey principle of superposition ,which a scalar quantity would obey as good as a vector.
Then why don't we take quantum states as scalars?

States as vectors in the Hilbert space correspond to pure states only.
For mixed states, one must use a density matrix (aka state operator).
State operators must satisfy 3 requirements (trace=1, self-adjoint, and non-negative).

What I think could be the reason:
Quantum states are characterized by certain dynamical variables
In standard formalism we represent dynamical variables as operators acting as linear transformation on vectors.
Now,scalars are not operated on by operators,so by taking scalars as quantum states we can no longer characterize a quantum state by physically observable properties,which would render it meaningless.

Dynamical variables correspond to certain operators on the Hilbert space.

(IMHO, you really need a QM textbook. If you can get a copy of Ballentine,
this is explained pretty well in chapters 1-3.)

strangerep said:
No, not even close -- sorry.

States as vectors in the Hilbert space correspond to pure states only.
For mixed states, one must use a density matrix (aka state operator).
State operators must satisfy 3 requirements (trace=1, self-adjoint, and non-negative).

Dynamical variables correspond to certain operators on the Hilbert space.

(IMHO, you really need a QM textbook. If you can get a copy of Ballentine,
this is explained pretty well in chapters 1-3.)

Yeah,Thanks for advice.But I guess I haven't got my answer yet (iff question makes some sense ofcourse)

tenchotomic said:
But I guess I haven't got my answer yet (iff question makes some sense ofcourse)

I'll try a different tack...

Scalars are 1-dimensional vectors. In QM, multiplying a state by a scalar does not change the physical situation. I.e., physical states really correspond to rays in Hilbert space, not merely vectors. So if you use scalars only, then you only have one physical state -- which would not be very useful.

strangerep said:
I'll try a different tack...

Scalars are 1-dimensional vectors. In QM, multiplying a state by a scalar does not change the physical situation. I.e., physical states really correspond to rays in Hilbert space, not merely vectors. So if you use scalars only, then you only have one physical state -- which would not be very useful.

Thanks for your view.

1. What is a quantum state?

A quantum state is a mathematical description of the physical state of a system in quantum mechanics. It contains all the information about the system's properties, such as position, momentum, and energy.

2. What does it mean for a quantum state to be a scalar?

In quantum mechanics, a scalar is a mathematical quantity that is independent of any particular coordinate system. Therefore, a quantum state being a scalar means that it is not affected by changes in the reference frame or coordinate system used to describe it.

3. How are quantum states represented mathematically?

Quantum states are typically represented as vectors in a mathematical space called Hilbert space. The length of the vector represents the magnitude of the state, and its direction represents the phase or orientation of the state.

4. How do quantum states behave in superposition?

In quantum mechanics, a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, a phenomenon known as superposition. This means that a quantum state can be a combination of different states, with each state having a certain probability of being observed when the system is measured.

5. What is the significance of quantum states as scalars?

The fact that quantum states are scalars has important implications in quantum mechanics. It allows for the principles of superposition and entanglement, which are key to understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It also makes it possible to perform mathematical operations on quantum states, which is essential for developing quantum algorithms and technologies.