Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Teleportation?

1. May 28, 2003 #1
    This is probably not theoretical anymore, since it is possible to teleport a photon 1 m far ( since last I checked ). This could not be done however without destroying the photon at the starting end. They had to record the quantum state of the particle and send it to the receiving end. After which it was reassembled by means of this "quantum record". What I want to know is, do you think it is possible to record the quantum state of a Big Mac and have my "replicator" (Star Trek dejavu) assemble one for me?

*Edit : Found info on the physics section of Yahoo

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2003 #2
    whoa, whoa... back up.
    i've heard nothing about the teleportation of a photon. give me a link.

4. May 28, 2003 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

The Ausies did it! Just a couple months before they flew the first successfull hypersonic jet engine.

Criky, a right dinky-dee bit o' physics dem blokes is pullin', eh gov'na?!

5. May 28, 2003 #4
  6. May 28, 2003 #5
    Does this quantum entangling hhave anything to do with string theory?

7. May 29, 2003 #6

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

No, it is a QM effect.

8. May 29, 2003 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

No teleportation took place there; just entanglement.

There have been other experiments that partially or possibly teleported individual particals, but the Australian team was the first to develope a real teleportation technique.

9. May 29, 2003 #8
    Entanglement and teleportation are very related phenomenon actually. Yes they are seperate entities, but when you get to macroscopic sizes, entanglement is what you have to do to get teleportation.

edit:

If you read the link about the aussies, you will see that is what they did also, they used entanglement.

10. May 31, 2003 #9
    Could some one explain what entanglement is? Thanks.

11. Jun 1, 2003 #10
    hmmmm.

it's a little to sketchy for me... i think i don't understand QM well enough to make a sound judgement on this on.

12. Jun 2, 2003 #11

drag

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?