Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum theory of gravity

1. Jan 4, 2004 #1
    [SOLVED] Quantum theory of gravity

Does anyone know if the same field theory approach that was applied to the electromagnetic force (resulting in QED) has been attempted with gravity. This would entail ignoring GR and trying to develop a quantum field theory of gravity from scratch. Any insights?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2
    yes, this was tried. the theory is nonrenormalizable.
  4. Jan 4, 2004 #3
    Further info

Could you mention any further reading on this.
  5. Jan 4, 2004 #4
    Re: Further info

are you looking for something to read for laymen, or something for physicists?

what exactly is your level of education? it helps to know this before making a recommendation.
  6. Jan 4, 2004 #5
    Re: Re: Further info

Level is not an issue.
  7. Jan 4, 2004 #6
    Re: Re: Re: Further info

well, then i recommend stephen weinbergs textbook on quantum field theory.
  8. Jan 4, 2004 #7
    Which one, there are 3 volumes.
  9. Jan 4, 2004 #8
    well, i am at my parents for winter break, so i can t look at my copy right now, but if i recall, i m pretty sure this is in volume one. in the chapter on renormalization.

you can actually sum up the reason for the nonrenormalizability of gravity very simply: it all stems from the fact that the gravitational coupling constant is dimensionful. but to see what this has to renormalization, you have to learn renormalization first.
  10. Jan 4, 2004 #9
    I understand renomalization. From the point of view of QED. It is a series with infinite terms, each representing the probability of a partile interaction, which does not converge. Therefore, the idea of renomalization does away with the infinities.
  11. Jan 5, 2004 #10
    well, good for you.
  12. Jan 5, 2004 #11
    The question is do you know or are you just using big words.
  13. Jan 5, 2004 #12
    really? i didn t know that was the question.

i thought the question was this:

but if you want to ask the question about what i know, or whether i only like to use big words, instead of something about physics, here is the answer:

mind your own fvcking business, and don t worry about what i know or don t know.
  14. Jan 5, 2004 #13
    I understand renormalization and have demonstrated that. You on the other hand have talked about it but have not demonstrated that you are doinging anything more than plagiarizing a book that you probably don't understand to begin with. If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk.
  15. Jan 5, 2004 #14
    here you go again, assuming that you know what i understand and what i don t understand.

i ll tell you what: shut the fvck up about me, don t say anything else about what you think i know or understand, and i will leave this thread, and neither talk the talk nor walk the walk. i can leave the talking and walking to you, our new resident expert.
  16. Jan 5, 2004 #15
    I have good evidence to assume that you don't know. You talked about something and then why called on it you can't produce evidence that you understood what you were talking about. This is called a poser.

All you have to do to prove me wrong is show that you know what you are talking about instead of copying out of a book.
  17. Jan 5, 2004 #16
    you never asked me to produce evidence that i understand renormalization. you asked me for a reference for further reading. which i provided.

i certainly could explain renormalization, but i see no reason to prove myself to you.

i don t believe i said anything that showed that i don t understand what i am talking about, but if that is your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.

if you think my understanding is imperfect, or my explanation less than lucid, you could simply ask for opinions of other posters, or ask me for further explanation. instead you chose to attack me personally, claiming that i plagiarize, or that i don t understand physics.

and to that kind of attack i can only respond with: fvck yourself.
    like i said, i don t need to prove you wrong.
  18. Jan 5, 2004 #17
    See I told you don't know it. Why would you give yourself so much stress when all you had to do was admit you don't know it. The only explanation for your behavior is that you are hiding something.

BTW, I can go on all day.
  19. Jan 5, 2004 #18
    let me tell you something, you know renormalization about as much as my cat. you are an ignorant crackpot, and your attitude here ensures that you will remain that way.

who the fvck cares how long you can go?
  20. Jan 5, 2004 #19
    Prove it.
  21. Jan 5, 2004 #20
    you have done it for me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?