Unify General Relativity & Quantum Theory | Stephen Hawking

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of unifying general relativity with quantum theory, specifically in regards to gravity. The problem is a well-known and highly debated topic in modern physics, with various theories such as String Theory and Quantum Loop Theory being proposed. However, it is still uncertain if such a theory exists and if it will lead to a "theory of everything". The book "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking is mentioned as a source of information on the topic.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
I have read somewhere that the next major step in physics will be unifying general relativity with the quantum theory. Does anyone know about such? I wanted to know a bit more.
I have read about such in the book by Stephen Hawking "A Brief History of Time".
Thanks,
I.

P.S. My apologies for the wrong prefix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
Does anyone know about such?
I think almost everyone in this forum knows about that.

The problem you're talking about is the most famous in modern physics. It's not Quantum Theory of Relativity, but rather Quantum Gravity, though no one really knows whether that is the right way to unify both fields. The idea is that gravity cannot be quantized, and thus it's different from the other 3 forces (Strong/Weak Nuclear force and Electromagnetism). There is String Theory and Quantum loop theory among many others. There is a lot of speculation in all this theories, and we still don't know if there is such theory exists. If that problem is solved, we may have achieved the "theory of everything".

Likes ISamson

1. What is Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory?

Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory is a major goal in modern physics. It involves creating a single theory that can explain both the large-scale phenomena of gravity and the small-scale phenomena of quantum mechanics.

2. Why is Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory important?

Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory is important because it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology.

3. Who is Stephen Hawking and what was his contribution to Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory?

Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the field of cosmology and quantum gravity. He proposed several theories and models that aimed to unify General Relativity and Quantum Theory, including the theory of black hole radiation and the Hartle-Hawking state.

4. What are the challenges in Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory?

The main challenge in Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory is that both theories have different mathematical frameworks and are based on different principles. Additionally, the scale at which they operate is vastly different, making it difficult to reconcile the two theories.

5. Has there been any progress in Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory?

There has been significant progress in Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Theory, but a complete and satisfactory theory has not yet been achieved. Many researchers and physicists continue to work on this problem and have proposed various approaches and theories, but it remains one of the greatest challenges in modern physics.