[Quantum Theory] Quality Texts

In summary: Master the basics. In summary, if you are interested in learning quantum mechanics, I would highly recommend reading Ballentine's "QM -- A Modern Development" and attending one of Aaronson's lectures on quantum computing.
marshalljman
Hello all,

I am new to the forums here. My background is biochemistry and I currently work in a medical laboratory. What brings me here is a new found interest in physics, in particular, quantum theory. I would like to learn much more ranging from the basics to M theory etc..

I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of some quality texts that cover these topics. Keep in mind, my background in physics is limited, including one year of physics, a year of physical chemistry and two years of calculus. Therefore, I feel I have the background to understand technical information but need some basic quantum theory to work my way up to the more advanced concepts.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Take a look at Ballentine's "QM -- A Modern Development" via Amazon's "look inside" feature and see whether you're comfortable with the level of math that he uses.
If you can handle that, it's certainly a good QM book to study.

strangerep said:
Take a look at Ballentine's "QM -- A Modern Development" via Amazon's "look inside" feature and see whether you're comfortable with the level of math that he uses.
If you can handle that, it's certainly a good QM book to study.

I took a good look at this book and I suppose the better question is what mathematics should I learn to prepare myself for learning advanced physics?

I'm assuming that I need some linear algebra, Multi-variable Calc and differential equations. What about discrete? I've had Calc I, Calc II, Advanced Statistics, trig, analytical geometry.

You need a lot of linear algebra. Ballentine uses functional analysis at a high level. Shilov's Elementary Functional Analysis is a good survey of that sort of maths. You also need multivariate calculus, not on the level of, say, Calculus on Manifolds, but at least enough to ace a final exam in an honors course of "Calculus III."

I would also look at Aaronson's lecture notes on quantum computing in addition to Ballentine. He is turning this into a book which is to be released in a few months.

marshalljman said:
I took a good look at [Ballentine] and I suppose the better question is what mathematics should I learn to prepare myself for learning advanced physics?
That doesn't give us enough detailed information on your current background. If you start reading the first chapter, how far do you get before you hit some maths you totally don't understand?

Sometimes, jumping into the deep end can work...

1. What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the concept that energy is not continuous, but instead comes in small, discrete units called quanta.

2. How does quantum theory differ from classical physics?

Quantum theory differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level, while classical physics describes the behavior of larger objects. Quantum theory also includes concepts such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty, which are not present in classical physics.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum theory?

Quantum theory has many practical applications, including in the fields of electronics, computing, and telecommunications. It is also used in medical imaging, such as in MRI machines, and in the development of new materials and technologies.

4. What are some key principles of quantum theory?

Some key principles of quantum theory include superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and entanglement, which describes the correlation between two particles even when they are separated. Other principles include the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the wave-particle duality of matter and energy.

5. Why is quantum theory important?

Quantum theory is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It has also led to many technological advancements and has the potential for even more in the future. Additionally, it has challenged traditional ways of thinking about physics and has opened up new avenues for scientific exploration.