Quantum Tunnelling and Spacetime

In summary, quantum tunneling is possible in Minkowskian spacetime and does not violate the conservation of energy. This is because the tunneling particle stays at the same energy state and tunnels into the vacuum state that is also at the same energy. In quantum field theory, there are particles called instantons that can tunnel from one gauge configuration to another, and in lower dimensions these are called solitons. There have been experiments, such as the one by Nimtz, that have attempted to send signals faster than the speed of light using tunneling, but these have been explained as illusions based on the attenuation of the wave packet.
εllipse
Does relativistic quantum mechanics make use of 4 dimensional Minkowskian geometry? Or does it just use special relativity formulated in 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension? And if quantum mechanics can apply to Minkowskian spacetime, then can something tunnel through time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I got a question. Doesn't quantum tunneling violate the conservation of energy? When a particle tunnels out of an atom, a phenonema that has been proven, it goes against the strong force and gains electromagnetic potential energy, without expending any energy to acquire that potential energy. So for a small instant, it seems like it violates one of the most fundamental laws of physics.

WhiteWolf said:
Hmm... I got a question. Doesn't quantum tunneling violate the conservation of energy? When a particle tunnels out of an atom, a phenonema that has been proven, it goes against the strong force and gains electromagnetic potential energy, without expending any energy to acquire that potential energy. So for a small instant, it seems like it violates one of the most fundamental laws of physics.

No, because in an elastic tunneling (ballistic), the tunneling particle stays at the same energy state and tunnels into the vacuum state that is also at the same energy (in the form of its KE). That's the whole point of tunneling, it keeps the same energy that is lower than the barrier.

Zz.

εllipse said:
Does relativistic quantum mechanics make use of 4 dimensional Minkowskian geometry? Or does it just use special relativity formulated in 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension? And if quantum mechanics can apply to Minkowskian spacetime, then can something tunnel through time?
Tunneling is space time is very possible. you know that quantum tunneling lowers the groundstate energy of a system so for this reason it can happen. If something can happen in QM, then it will happen.

In QM tunneling is easy to understand, however in quantum field theory it is more difficult because of the involved topology. However in QFT you have particles called instantons that can tunnel from one gauge configuration to another at spatial infinity. In lower dimensions, hese instantons are called solitons (2 Dim).

regards
marlon

ZapperZ said:
No, because in an elastic tunneling (ballistic), the tunneling particle stays at the same energy state and tunnels into the vacuum state that is also at the same energy (in the form of its KE). That's the whole point of tunneling, it keeps the same energy that is lower than the barrier.

Thanks. Didnt know that. So the Kinetic Energy of the particle is higher with the distance it tunneled also? Hmmm, so what if it tunnels at a much longer distance? If it tunnels past, say... a moles worth of atoms, then wouldn't it have enough energy to approach light speeds? I would imagine that it would acquire great speeds as it is to break the barrier of the strong force from a single atom. So it would eventually have a limit, wouldn't it?

(Sorry, my physics teacher can't answer anything...)

WhiteWolf said:
Thanks. Didnt know that. So the Kinetic Energy of the particle is higher with the distance it tunneled also?

Er.. I didn't say that.

Remember that in the bound state, one can naively say that the KE of the particle is equivalent to E-V(r). When it tunnels out elastically, this is the same KE that it will have. That was what I was trying to say. There are no violation of conservation of energy in elastic/ballistic tunneling.

Zz.

Mr. Zapperz,

There was a famous work by Nimtz, in which he attempted to send a simphony of Mozart along a channel, from the emiter to the recorder and then concluded that the velocity od transmission was 4,7 c. He used tunneling to do so. I guess his experiment was based on the property that tunneling time does not depend on the extension of the barrier. Do you know if his work was accepted by the physics community ?

DaTario said:
There was a famous work by Nimtz, in which he attempted to send a simphony of Mozart along a channel, from the emiter to the recorder and then concluded that the velocity od transmission was 4,7 c. He used tunneling to do so. I guess his experiment was based on the property that tunneling time does not depend on the extension of the barrier. Do you know if his work was accepted by the physics community ?

I know of it and No it does not contradict with special relativity.
Check out MadSci :
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar98/889017260.Ph.r.html

Also check out his personal website at http://www.ph2.uni-koeln.de/Nimtz/
and scroll down to the link of his papers. There are some on superluminal signaling.

marlon

Last edited:
DaTario said:
Mr. Zapperz,

I would strongly advice you to read:

M. Büttiker and S. Washburn, Nature v.422, p.271 (2003).
M. Büttiker and S. Washburn, Nature v.424, p.638 (2003).

Zz.

Photons can transverse barriers transluminously based upon their wave packets, however, what about particles?

Can a particles wave packet transverse a barrier transluminously?

This superluminal effect is understood as an illusionbased on the folloying reasoning.

Supose you have a gaussian packet traveling in the x direction left-to-right.

Supose this packet will soon face a barrier.

When passing through the barrier the packet suffers an attenuation, such that its beginning ( the first non zero amplitude of the packet ) has traveled through the barrier with velocity c. The peak of the packet has come to a nearer point in relation to its begining.

Therefore, if you detector could click at the arrival of the first no zero amplitude of the packet, it would yield a c velocity transmission, but what happens in fact is that our detector are only able to click under a somewhat larger and finite amplitude, so that, due to the attenuation, it clicks a little bit earlier than it would, if no attenuation has taken place.

Consider this poor diagram:

the packet before the barrier:
->

the barrier's amplitude:

the packet after 1 second if no barrier exists:

the packet after 1 second with the presence of the barrier:

I hope it has helped...

Last edited:

What theorem describes the transluminal velocity through the barrier?

I guess this is still a matter of discussion, read my explanation of the objections to transluminal experimental evidence.

Rudolf Bonifacio is one who defends transluminal propagation of information.
Luiz Davidovich is one who attacks it.

Try a google search on this names.

What is quantum tunnelling?

Quantum tunnelling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to do so according to classical physics. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, which allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously.

How does quantum tunnelling work?

Quantum tunnelling occurs when a particle approaches a potential barrier and has a certain probability of "tunneling" through it. This probability is determined by the particle's energy and the height and width of the barrier. The particle exists in a superposition of states, both on one side and the other of the barrier, until it is observed or interacts with another particle.

What are the real-world applications of quantum tunnelling?

Quantum tunnelling has many practical applications, such as in scanning tunneling microscopy, where it is used to image surfaces at the atomic level. It is also important in the functioning of tunnel diodes, which are used in electronic devices such as microwave amplifiers and oscillators.

What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is a fundamental concept in physics, and according to the theory of general relativity, it is the fabric of the universe in which all matter and energy exist.

How are quantum tunnelling and spacetime related?

Quantum tunnelling and spacetime are related in the sense that quantum tunnelling occurs within the fabric of spacetime. The probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics allows particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, including different points in spacetime. This is why particles can tunnel through potential barriers, as they exist in a superposition of states on either side of the barrier.