Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum uncertainty principal

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    Hello...sorry about the vague nature of the question..but I am trying to learn in an 'economical' sort of way. That is asking almost redundant questions..but answers I can work with in a 'free style' way...and gain understanding in the process or be able to ask another question.

Can someone explain to me what the principal says? I know you are not supposed to be able to determine both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time on the sub-atomic level. The act of measurement disturbs the result..apparently. A particle I am guessing can not have both at 'the same time'. Does the fact that there is no such thing as an 'instant' or 'frozen' period of time explain why you can not pin down 'both' pieces of info?

Bye
    P.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2
    Welcome to PF!

Essentially, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that (a) you can never fully determine a particular property of a particle, and (b) there is an inverse relationship between your knowledge of a particle's position and momentum (or any two opposing features).

Keep in mind that this is not just a technical limitation - a particle literally does not have a definite position or momentum. Also, you should read this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook