Quantum well, is this correct?

In summary: Thanks again!Thank you! My mistake seems to have been when doing the integral, and I wrote cos instead of sin in the final expression. But I think I'm getting the correct answer...
Theodore0101
Homework Statement
An electron is in state n=2 in an infinite quantum well with width L. What is the probability to find the electron if you measure within the well's central third? Can someone cofirm whether or not my solution is correct
Relevant Equations
Y=Asin(n*pi*x/L)
Homework Statement:: An electron is in state n=2 in an infinite quantum well with width L. What is the probability to find the electron if you measure within the well's central third? Can someone cofirm whether or not my solution is correct
Homework Equations:: Y=Asin(n*pi*x/L)

I use the wave funtion Asin(n*pi*x/L) for a wave in a well of the interval 0 to L and square the absolute value of it, getting abs(Asin(n*pi*x/k))^2 = abs(A)^2 *sin^2(n*pi*x/L) (since sin^2(x) is greater or equal to 0) (I use n=2 of course)

I then take the abs(Y)^2 function and integrate it from 0 to L, (using that sin^2(x)`= 1/2(1-cos(2x)) and define the expression as equal to 1 in order to be able to normate it. I get that abs(A)^2*L/2=1 => abs(A)^2 = 2/L

I use 2/L in place of the abs(A)^2 in the integral expression and integrate from L/3 to 2L/3 so that it is the third in the middle. I get that it is equal to 0.229959166. Is this the correct way to solve it? Also, if anyone knows their significant figures, I'm also unsure about how many I am supposed to use in my final answer, since the problem only gives us n=2 which is discrete and that we are calculating for 1/3 of L, and doesn't give any regular values

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Theodore0101 said:
Homework Statement:: An electron is in state n=2 in an infinite quantum well with width L. What is the probability to find the electron if you measure within the well's central third? Can someone cofirm whether or not my solution is correct
Homework Equations:: Y=Asin(n*pi*x/L)

I use the wave funtion Asin(n*pi*x/L) for a wave in a well of the interval 0 to L and square the absolute value of it, getting abs(Asin(n*pi*x/k))^2 = abs(A)^2 *sin^2(n*pi*x/L) (since sin^2(x) is greater or equal to 0) (I use n=2 of course)

I then take the abs(Y)^2 function and integrate it from 0 to L, (using that sin^2(x)`= 1/2(1-cos(2x)) and define the expression as equal to 1 in order to be able to normate it. I get that abs(A)^2*L/2=1 => abs(A)^2 = 2/L

I use 2/L in place of the abs(A)^2 in the integral expression and integrate from L/3 to 2L/3 so that it is the third in the middle. I get that it is equal to 0.229959166. Is this the correct way to solve it? Also, if anyone knows their significant figures, I'm also unsure about how many I am supposed to use in my final answer, since the problem only gives us n=2 which is discrete and that we are calculating for 1/3 of L, and doesn't give any regular values

Thanks
That answer seems not quite right. Can you check it? Personally, I would give a precise answer, in terms of ##\pi##, and give an approximation to at most 3 decimal places.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
That answer seems not quite right. Can you check it? Personally, I would give a precise answer, in terms of ##\pi##, and give an approximation to at most 3 decimal places.

Thanks for your reply. I think I might have done some calculating mistake when I was doing the final step, and that it should instead be 0.33333... or 1/3. Is this the correct answer, or were you referring to something else as being wrong?

Theodore0101 said:
Thanks for your reply. I think I might have done some calculating mistake when I was doing the final step, and that it should instead be 0.33333... or 1/3. Is this the correct answer, or were you referring to something else as being wrong?

It's ##\frac 1 3 - \Delta##, where ##\Delta## is some factor that depends on ##n##.

What was the result of your integral?

PeroK said:
It's ##\frac 1 3 - \Delta##, where ##\Delta## is some factor that depends on ##n##.

What was the result of your integral?

Using 2/L*int(sin^2(2pi*x/L))dx (from L/3 to 2L/3) I got that it is 1/3 (with 2/L=abs(A)^2 and 2=n). Is it possible for Δ to be 0, or am I still doing something wrong somewhere?

Theodore0101 said:
Using 2/L*int(sin^2(2pi*x/L))dx (from L/3 to 2L/3) I got that it is 1/3 (with 2/L=abs(A)^2 and 2=n). Is it possible for Δ to be 0, or am I still doing something wrong somewhere?

##\Delta = 0## for ##n = 3##, but not for ##n =2##.

You can look up the integral of ##\sin^2## to check, but you should get:
$$\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} \frac 2 L \sin^2(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})dx = (\frac 2 L)(\frac{L}{8\pi})\bigg[ \frac{4\pi x}{L} - \sin(\frac{4\pi x}{L}) \bigg ] _{L/3}^{2L/3}$$

PeroK said:
##\Delta = 0## for ##n = 3##, but not for ##n =2##.

You can look up the integral of ##\sin^2## to check, but you should get:
$$\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} \frac 2 L \sin^2(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})dx = (\frac 2 L)(\frac{L}{8\pi})\bigg[ \frac{4\pi x}{L} - \sin(\frac{4\pi x}{L}) \bigg ] _{L/3}^{2L/3}$$

Thank you! My mistake seems to have been when doing the integral, and I wrote cos instead of sin in the final expression. But I think I'm getting the correct answer now.

Theodore0101 said:
Thank you! My mistake seems to have been when doing the integral, and I wrote cos instead of sin in the final expression. But I think I'm getting the correct answer now.

Which is?

PeroK said:
Which is?
About 19.6%

Theodore0101 said:
About 19.6%

That would be ##\frac 1 3 - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4\pi}##

1. What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a type of nanostructure used in the field of quantum mechanics. It consists of a thin layer of a semiconductor material sandwiched between two layers of a different semiconductor material. This creates a potential well that allows the confinement of electrons in a small region, leading to quantum effects.

2. How does a quantum well work?

A quantum well works by creating a potential barrier that traps electrons within a confined region. The electrons are forced to move in two dimensions, leading to a discrete energy spectrum and quantum effects such as tunneling and confinement.

3. What are the applications of quantum wells?

Quantum wells have a wide range of applications in various fields such as optoelectronics, quantum computing, and nanotechnology. They are used in devices such as lasers, photodetectors, and transistors, and have also shown potential in developing quantum computers.

4. Are quantum wells only used in semiconductors?

No, quantum wells can also be created in other materials such as metals and insulators. However, they are most commonly used in semiconductors due to their unique electronic properties and ability to manipulate quantum effects.

5. What are the advantages of using quantum wells?

Quantum wells offer several advantages over traditional electronic devices. They have faster switching speeds, lower power consumption, and can operate at higher frequencies. They also have a smaller size and can be integrated into electronic circuits, making them ideal for use in miniaturized devices.