Quantum Well Problems: Solving Large K1 and K2 Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing in solving quantum well problems after taking their first course in quantum mechanics. The speaker has identified that their mistake may lie in the units they are using, and they seek help in identifying where they are going wrong. The conversation also includes equations and values for K1 and K2, as well as an example problem from a book. The speaker is unable to obtain the correct answer for the example problem and is seeking assistance.
fahmed6
I just took up my first course of quantum mechanics and i am having some serious problems solving quantum well problems.the thing is that after i take out the energy states of the well
and try to find K1 and K2 from it, the values i get are very very large.i think i am making a msitake with units somewhere.here r the units that i am taking.can someone please point out where I am making a mistake.

K1=sqrt(2*m*E/h^2)
K2=sqrt(2*m*(V-E)/h^2)

E=energy(i am converting ev to Joules)
V=well depth(i am again converting ev to J)
m=e mass(9.1e-31)
h=1.054e-34 J.s
all lengths in meters

So if for example E=.245ev ,V=.36ev,what values of K1 and K2 should i be getting.

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
h = 4.1*10^-15 eVs

fahmed6 said:
I just took up my first course of quantum mechanics and i am having some serious problems solving quantum well problems.the thing is that after i take out the energy states of the well
and try to find K1 and K2 from it, the values i get are very very large.i think i am making a msitake with units somewhere.here r the units that i am taking.can someone please point out where I am making a mistake.

K1=sqrt(2*m*E/h^2)
K2=sqrt(2*m*(V-E)/h^2)

E=energy(i am converting ev to Joules)
V=well depth(i am again converting ev to J)
m=e mass(9.1e-31)
h=1.054e-34 J.s
all lengths in meters

So if for example E=.245ev ,V=.36ev,what values of K1 and K2 should i be getting.

Thanx
Yes, the Ks will be large numbers in units of m^-1 (very short wavelengths => very large wavenumbers).

What values do you get?

my k's are very large and whenever i use them in a problem the answer is not right.im posting an example from a book to illustrate what I am saying.

For a single quantum well
K1=sqrt(2*m*E/h^2)
K2=sqrt(2*m*(V-E)/h^2)

aplpplying theb boundry conditions on the well gives us
plot(1)
k1=k2*tan(k2*a/2)
-k1=k2*cot(k2*a/2)

an additional relationship is obtained
plot(2)
k1^2+k2^2=*m*V/h^2

which would be a circle.ploting the above would give me the k1 and k1 values at the points of intersection of the grfaph and from that i can find the values for E using the above realtion.

if well width=a=10e-10m
well depth=V=.347ev
m=9.1e-31
the ans is E1=.12660ev E2=.3413ev

I can't get this answer!

ploting plot(1) and plot(2) should give me the values of Ks at the point of intesection of the two plots.BUt my plots don't even intersect at any point!

1. What is a quantum well problem?

A quantum well problem refers to the challenges faced in solving large K1 and K2 values in quantum mechanics. K1 and K2 values represent the energy and momentum of a particle, respectively, and solving for these values can be difficult in certain scenarios.

2. Why are large K1 and K2 values problematic?

Large K1 and K2 values can be problematic because they require more complex mathematical calculations to solve, and can also lead to numerical instability and inaccuracies in the results.

3. How are large K1 and K2 values typically solved?

Large K1 and K2 values are typically solved using advanced numerical techniques, such as the finite element method or the finite difference method. These techniques involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using iterative processes to find solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum well problems?

Quantum well problems have many real-world applications in fields such as nanotechnology, semiconductor engineering, and quantum computing. They are used to understand the behavior of particles and materials at a quantum level, and to design and optimize devices and technologies.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts to address quantum well problems?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to develop new and more efficient methods for solving quantum well problems. This includes the development of quantum algorithms for quantum computers, as well as improvements to existing numerical techniques. There is also ongoing research to better understand the fundamental principles behind quantum well problems and how they can be applied to different fields.