Exploring the Quantum World: Understanding Particles and Possibilities

• Thread starter azizlwl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of particles passing through each other and the concept of quantum tunneling. The host mentions that if someone were to push against a wall for billions of years, there is a small chance they could pass through it. However, with the number of people in the world and the number of particles involved, the possibility is almost non-existent. The conversation also touches on the difference between classical physics and quantum mechanics when it comes to particles colliding.
azizlwl
I watch a series on quantum world.
The host said particles can pass through each others.
And then he pushed a wall and said if he keep on pushing for billion of years, there will be possibilities he will pass through the wall.

We have more than 7 billions people in this world. I never heard that somebody fingers ever pass through any object.
I think the possibility is nil

Physics news on Phys.org
One person pushing on a wall for 7 billion years is not the same as 7 billion people pushing on a wall for 1 year.
If though you did hear of one person's fingers passing through a wall, it would not be believable, and would be considered a magic trick.
The host, or progam, was trying to expand the audiences' mind about quantum physics, albeit in a non-verifiable fashion. I suspect he gave no explanation for why billions of years was chosen over millions or trillions of years.

If you consider that a mole of substance is 6.02214179(30)×10^23 elementary particles and your hand weighs about 500 grams then you are looking at 10^25 particles in your hand that would have to 'pass through' a corresponding number of particles in the wall, all at the same time ( in unison).

so yeah, nil.

Well , if particles can pass through each other, then how come when an anti-matter and matter collide , they annihilate and won't pass through each other.

Karimspencer said:
Well , if particles can pass through each other, then how come when an anti-matter and matter collide , they annihilate and won't pass through each other.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Tunneling means that a particle went through a POTENTIAL BARRIER. It does not mean that it went through another particle!

Zz.

Oh well , i guess i misunderstood.

azizlwl said:
I watch a series on quantum world.
The host said particles can pass through each others.
And then he pushed a wall and said if he keep on pushing for billion of years, there will be possibilities he will pass through the wall.

We have more than 7 billions people in this world. I never heard that somebody fingers ever pass through any object.
I think the possibility is nil

The key is to understand that there is a possibility of him passing through the wall. It is kind of like playing the lottery, but with odds so far against you that you have practically no hope of ever winning. The probability of a person quantum tunneling through a wall and appearing on the other side fully intact is so small that I don't think I have enough room to put all the zeroes in this post. (A rough estimate, but you get my point I hope) So while it is unbelievably small, it is not exactly zero.

Karimspencer said:

The term "collide" isn't very useful at the quantum scale. Things are described much differently in quantum mechanics than they are in classical physics.

Drakkith said:
The key is to understand that there is a possibility of him passing through the wall. It is kind of like playing the lottery, but with odds so far against you that you have practically no hope of ever winning. The probability of a person quantum tunneling through a wall and appearing on the other side fully intact is so small that I don't think I have enough room to put all the zeroes in this post. (A rough estimate, but you get my point I hope) So while it is unbelievably small, it is not exactly zero.

Thanks. It is unbelievably small.

1. What is the quantum world?

The quantum world is the realm of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other.

2. What are the basic principles of quantum mechanics?

The basic principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, where particles can behave as both waves and particles, and the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

3. How is the quantum world different from the classical world?

The quantum world differs from the classical world in that it operates on a much smaller scale and follows different laws and principles. In the classical world, objects are governed by Newton's laws of motion, while in the quantum world, particles follow probabilistic behavior and can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It is also used in fields such as medicine, cryptography, and telecommunications.

5. Why is understanding the quantum world important?

Understanding the quantum world is important because it helps us to better understand the fundamental nature of the universe and how it works. It also has practical applications that can lead to technological advancements and improve our daily lives.