1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quardrature Amplitude Modulation

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Quardrature Amplitude Modulation.

I know the basic techniques, like when you have 1 point and only two signals are to be multiplexed. But the constellations got me a bit confused. My text-book doesn't explain it thoroughly, and there isn't much deep information about it on the internet.

"The number of "dots" in the constellation is given as a number before the QAM, and is always an integer power of two -- from 2^1 (2QAM) to 2^12 (4096QAM)."

This is from wikipedia site. I'm just wondering, each point adds two signals? or multiply the number of signals mulitplexed by two??

This is an example exercise:

An analog passband channel can pass a maximum of 20 KHz. If the channel is used for transmission of digital data, what is the minimum number of points in a QAM constellation if 5 ADPCM signals are to be multiplexed in an the analog channel?

In both cases of my interpretation, the answer would be 3 points, no??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2
    erm, that would be 2^3=8 points.

8 points have the ability to multiplex 16 signals or 2^8= 256??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook