Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quark attraction

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    im writing a physics simulator and now I decided to see about implementing the basic matter not just to atoms but down to the fundamental particles, so to start im trying to figure out how exactly quarks are attracted, like I know an up and down quark are attracted through electromagnetism and also the colour charge of strong nuclear force by transfering gluons but how do I mathematically calculate that gluon transfer strength and is the reason they group in 3's because of the RGB making them colour neutral or colour balanced.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Just to make it clear, no existing computer on Earth can do that today. I order to simulate just a few molecules down to the quark level, one would either need to buy a computer thousands (millions ?) times more powerful than the most powerful computer, or invent new computing methods.

Funny, I spent the holiday reading about lattice QCD. I can today barely pretend to understand what they mean, not even to mention implementing everything by myself.
  5. Jan 7, 2009 #4
    ahhh lol no no i dont mean the math just i wanted to write a sub program for fun just implementing the way the color works sorry i worded that bad, anyways im lost to how the color charge works thats why i wanted help with it. Not the math, just want to understand how two up quarks and one down quark can have the three different colours to make it colour neutral to form a nucleon or am i not thinking about it right.
  6. Jan 7, 2009 #5
    I suddenly realized that there is an interesting point, related to why it would be relevant to perform such a simulation, and what necessary accuracy one should expect. I know that the spin structure of the proton contributes at the ppm level to the hydrogen hyperfine splitting. But does anybody know of a quark consequence at the molecule level ? In any case, I strongly suspect that my "millions times more powerful" might be underestimated.

Proton structure corrections to electronic and muonic hydrogen hyperfine splitting
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?