Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quark masses and E=mc^2.

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    Recently I have managed to understand some basics of the Standard Model and even have written some note about it (see math.DG/0605709). The quark masses there are matrix quantities. Two tripples of quarks (the upper row - one from each generation and the lower row - one from each generation) have matix masses. I. e. the masses of 6 quarks are given by two 3x3 matrices. How such a matrix mass correlates with the famous Einsteins's formula E=mc^2. Especially its non-diagonal elements? I think this question is worth to discus here.

Ruslan Sharipov,
    algebra & geometry group of Bashkir State University,
    cell phone +7(917)476-93-48

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    It doesn't. We don't understand yet where the fermion masses come from. Even if the Higgs mechanism turns out to be correct, we still won't know what they are, because we will instead have to aks why the Yukawa couplings take on the values they do.

Incidentally, do you see a problem with what you wrote in your post? Energy is frame dependent, but the masses you wrote down in your matrix are frame independent. Do you understand how this is resolved?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?