Exploring the Peculiarity of Quark Masses

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quark
In summary: It's unfortunate that the masses of particles are not constrained by a more fundamental theory. This means that we don't have any certainty about the values of these masses, and we may never be able to know them perfectly.
mathman
Science Advisor
Is there anything in fundamental theory to explain the peculiarity of quark masses? The up and down have about the same mass, however for the other two pairs, there are big disparities, i.e. charm much bigger than strange and top much bigger than bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, there is nothing in the SM that would constrain quark and lepton masses. They are treated as free parameters that need to be obtained from experiment (plus a renormalization scheme). Even in string theory, my understanding is that there is not much achieved in that direction; there, you need to find out which topology of the extra dimensions would reproduce the mass spectra of observed particles, which basically means that the masses need also be obtained from experiment.

All quark and lepton masses are free parameters in the Standard Model. There have certainly been many attempts to explain them with a more fundamental theory. People have constructed models that could explain various features of the observed particle spectrum, and some of those models are consistent with all known data, and hence could be true. However, since we have no positive evidence for physics beyond the Standard Model, this is all in the realm of speculation. The good news is that many models of this type are testable at the upcoming collider - the LHC. So, hopefully we'll soon have some more experimental insight into this question.

i'm a new comer

as far as i know, the masses of quarks can be calculated perturbatively by methods of chial symmetry breaking.:biggrin:

newwitten said:
as far as i know, the masses of quarks can be calculated perturbatively by methods of chial symmetry breaking.:biggrin:
Yep, but in function of the masses of mesons, so you just change the question. :cool:

Now, what is sad about all this mass stuff is that if the couplings of the elementary particles are confirmed to come down from hig energy GUT theories, then one needs a complicated differential equation to pinpoint precise values at working energies and one can even forget about the possibility of certain (ie of the order of experimental measure) prediction.

1. What are quark masses?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. The masses of these particles are determined by the masses of their constituent quarks.

2. Why is exploring quark masses important?

Understanding the masses of quarks is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of matter. The masses of quarks also play a significant role in the behavior of subatomic particles and the formation of the universe.

3. How are quark masses measured?

Quark masses are measured using a variety of experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and particle collisions. These experiments provide data that can be used to calculate the masses of different types of quarks.

4. What is the current understanding of quark masses?

Currently, the Standard Model of particle physics provides a framework for understanding the masses of quarks. However, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research to further explore the peculiarity of quark masses.

5. How does the variation in quark masses affect the universe?

The variation in quark masses has a significant impact on the universe, as it affects the formation of matter and the structure of the universe. Small changes in quark masses can lead to vastly different outcomes, such as the existence of galaxies and stars.