Can Technobabble Be Avoided in Discussions About Quark Technology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using quarks as a source of energy, specifically through the use of a quark reactor. One person suggests that it is not possible to obtain free quarks under normal conditions, while another suggests that it is not as difficult as it seems and that technology can be used to observe and utilize quarks. However, someone else points out that there is no evidence for the existence of free quarks and that the conversation is nothing more than technobabble. The conversation is then closed by a moderator.
Quark Bombs
Hi.

I was wondering whether Quark technology is possible or not? You know, Quark reactors, etc
?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No. The quark lifetime is less than 10^-20 seconds.

Under normal conditions you can't get free quarks.

When I was 9 years old, I "invented" a quark bomb. It was supposed to blow up a whole planet. It didn't work (I think). the principle was to mix a bottle of up quarks with a bottle of down quarks, the bottles were made of a special kind of glass and I elaborated a system with two hammers and a spring which broke them upon impact.
The trick was to break the bottles simultaneously.

Later, when I was much older, I learned real physics. :smile:

Bob S said:
No. The quark lifetime is less than 10^-20 seconds.

hello again.

ok so we take these protons.. use them as fuel for the quark reactor.

mathman said:
Under normal conditions you can't get free quarks.

hello again.

well we make such conditions where we can free these quarks and use them as fuel for the quark reactor.

its not that hard you know.

Quark Bombs said:
hello again.

ok so we take these protons.. use them as fuel for the quark reactor.

hello again.

well we make such conditions where we can free these quarks and use them as fuel for the quark reactor.

its not that hard you know.

hmmm... lol what do you mean its not that hard? you were just told it has improved impossible so far and that's with some of the smartest people in the world working on it.

cam875 said:
hmmm... lol what do you mean its not that hard? you were just told it has improved impossible so far and that's with some of the smartest people in the world working on it.

Yeah well in the end its very easy.

Quark_structure_proton_svg.png

http://www.aip.org/png/images/quark-spin-png.jpg

How hard is that?

i mean, we can use these quarks and go in even more deeper. Use microscopes or whatever the technology we use nowadays to observe them, then use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quark Bombs said:
Yeah well in the end its very easy.

How hard is that?

i mean, we can use these quarks and go in even more deeper. Use microscopes or whatever the technology we use nowadays to observe them, then use them.
Um no. Those are pictures of simplistic concepts, and have little bearing on the reality of the physics. I would recommend one stop fantasizing and actually learn the physics of the subatomic realm.

... is this a joke? Showing cartoon pictures of something doesn't equal a theory for how something works...

There are no free quarks. Period. I also don't know of any plausible modifications to QCD that even allow them to exist theoretically.

Not that you'd necessarily need free quarks for some sort of quark technology, but then you may as well not call it that, I guess.

Im not sure why this thread hasn't been closed yet. Quarkbombs, please reread vanesch's post and then read the wiki on technobabble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technobabble

What you are doing is nothing more than technobabbling: throwing together a bunch of scientific words without any consideration for what those words actually mean when put together in a sentence. This is is a science forum, not a verbal vomit forum. Please do not post any more such nonsense.

Now it is closed.

1. What is quark technology and how does it work?

Quark technology refers to the use of quarks, which are subatomic particles, in various applications. Quarks are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, which make up the nucleus of an atom. In order to harness their potential, scientists are researching ways to manipulate quarks and use them in technology.

2. Is quark technology currently being used in any practical applications?

While quark technology is still in the early stages of research and development, there are some potential applications being explored. One example is the use of quark-gluon plasma for advanced computing and data storage. However, more research is needed before quark technology can be used in practical applications.

3. What are the challenges in developing quark technology?

There are several challenges in developing quark technology, including the difficulty in isolating and manipulating individual quarks, as well as the high energy requirements for studying and controlling quarks. Additionally, the behavior of quarks is still not fully understood, which makes it challenging to predict how they will behave in different applications.

4. Can quark technology lead to new advancements in energy production?

There is potential for quark technology to contribute to advancements in energy production. Some research is focused on using quarks to create new types of batteries or fuel cells. Additionally, quark interactions could potentially be harnessed to create more efficient and sustainable energy sources.

5. Are there any potential risks or ethical concerns related to quark technology?

As with any emerging technology, there may be risks and ethical considerations to consider with quark technology. For example, the high energy requirements for studying quarks could have negative impacts on the environment. Additionally, there may be concerns about the potential misuse or unintended consequences of using quarks in technology.