Are There More Than 3 Quarks in a Proton? The Truth Revealed by Scientists

In summary: Basically, Strassler is saying that protons are made up of a lot more particles than just the three quarks we are used to thinking about.
JML
I read some time ago there are many more as 3 quarks in proton but lot of publications mention only 3 quarks!
Where is the truth?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's 3 and is always 3.

There are only 3 quarks in a proton. Maybe you read about the force particles that keep them together (gluons).

JML said:
I read some time ago there are many more as 3 quarks in proton but lot of publications mention only 3 quarks!
Where is the truth?

The truth here is that we don't know what you read, and if you read something silly, or you misinterpret what you read.

In this forum, always cite your source! Otherwise, we can't really figure out where the problem is.

There are a total of 6 different types of quarks in the Standard Model of particle physics. There are two different types of quarks in a proton, but there are three of them - uud.

Zz.

I put this question because of this article from Theoretical Physicist Matt Strassler:
You may have heard that a proton is made from three quarks. Indeed here are several pages that say so. This is a lie — a white lie, but a bigone. In fact there are zillions of gluons, antiquarks, and quarks in a proton. The standard shorthand, “the proton is made from two up quarks and one down quark”, is really a statement that the proton has two more up quarks than up antiquarks, and one more down quark than down antiquarks. To make the glib shorthandcorrect you need to add the phrase “plus zillions of gluons and zillions of quark-antiquark pairs.”Without this phrase, one’s view of the proton is so simplistic that it is not possible to understand the LHC at all.

http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/largehadroncolliderfaq/whats-a-proton-anyway/

Any comment?

JML said:
Any comment?

This happens a lot when you read pop-sci explanations. Yes, when we say that there are exactly three quarks in a nucleon, that's a white lie... but then again, when we say that that the Earth is round, that's also a white lie because it's really kind of slightly pear-shaped.

Strassler is trying to say that there's a lot of complicated physics and subtle nuance behind the simple statement that there are three quarks in a nucleon, just as there's a lot of complicated physics and subtle nuance behind the simple statement that the Earth is round. He's right about that, but he's chosen a rather unfortunate way of making this point.

Just so i understand the Strassler guy's point, is he alluding to the myriad "higher-order" interactions (i.e. with virtual pairs) one has to consider in QCD when calculating the strength of the interactions?

rumborak said:
Just so i understand the Strassler guy's point, is he alluding to the myriad "higher-order" interactions (i.e. with virtual pairs) one has to consider in QCD when calculating the strength of the interactions?

That's what I think he's alluding to yes. This is what people mean when they talk about "the strange quark content of protons", for instance. http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2010/04/27/protons-not-as-strange-as-expected

Wow, that is a terrible way of getting that subtlety across. Strassler probably thinks he educated the reader more, but this is a classic example where badly placed additional information can cause greater harm than not mentioning it. Kinda like that guy a while ago who insisted on bringing relativity into the picture for a total bare-bones physics question.

1. What are quarks?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are in turn the building blocks of atoms. They are considered to be the smallest known particles and cannot be broken down into smaller components.

2. How many quarks are in a proton?

There are three quarks in a proton, specifically two "up" quarks and one "down" quark. These quarks are held together by the strong nuclear force to form a stable proton.

3. Can quarks exist independently?

No, quarks cannot exist independently as they are always found in groups of two or three within particles. This phenomenon is known as confinement, and it is a fundamental principle of the strong nuclear force.

4. Are quarks the only particles in a proton?

No, besides quarks, protons also contain gluons, which are particles that mediate the strong nuclear force between quarks. Gluons are responsible for holding the quarks together and giving protons their stability.

5. How do quarks contribute to the mass of a proton?

Quarks do contribute to the mass of a proton, but they only account for a small percentage of its overall mass. The majority of a proton's mass comes from the energy of the strong nuclear force that binds the quarks together.