Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quarks exchanging gluons

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    How does the exchange of gluons between quarks "bind" them together?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does the exchange of photons bind an electron and proton together?
  4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    How does exchange of words bind a group of people together?
  5. Dec 22, 2008 #4
    Your question can be understood at several levels. The way I understand it, it may be re-phrased
    in a non-relativistic picture of quark-quark interaction via gluon exchange.

All the way up to
    there are many other possible interpretations.
  6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    As in, why does the fact that virtual gluons pass between quarks constantly mean that they stay together as neutrons and protons?

In other words, how does the virtual gluon transmit an attractive force?
  7. Dec 22, 2008 #6
    It does not. Gluon exchange can result in both attractive and repulsive interactions.

You indeed may want to review how the photon transmit electromagnetic interaction.
  8. Dec 27, 2008 #7
    Though I can't say I fully understand it myself, Richard Feynman compares gluons and chromodynamics with photons and electrodynamics, talking about a coupling constant referred to as j for photons and g for gluons, which seems relative to amplitude, in the book 'QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter', g being much larger and more complex to calculate than j.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?