Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quarks in a Mole

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    Quarks in a Mole
    If I have one mole of hydrogen, I only have Up and Down Quarks, right?
    If I have one mole of Plutonium, I should have all the Quarks, right?
    Where on the Periodic Chart do all the Quarks start showing up?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Nowhere. All elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of only up and down quarks.

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    in one Mole of hydrogen would you find all Quarks?:up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No. All elements are composed of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of only up and down quarks.

6. Oct 15, 2016 #5
    So, therein lies my confusion, with only protons and neutrons there should only be up, and down, so where do the other quarks hide? this is something that's been on my mind for a long time and my College Physics Professor could not answer. (I II)

7. Oct 15, 2016 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other quarks appear in unstable baryons created in various high energy colliders.
    Other quarks appear in unstable hadrons created in various high energy colliders.

8. Oct 15, 2016 #7
    so, the energy of a collision creates the other Quarks. do they decay? and what do they decay into?

9. Oct 15, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That was post 20,000. (Half as many as Doc Al or Berkeman)

10. Oct 16, 2016 #9

atyy

Science Advisor

Yes, the energy of a collision creates other quarks, which decay. For example, the top quark decay is described here: http://particleadventure.org/top_pro.html.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted