Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quarks make the neutrons and protons

1. Jun 18, 2003 #1
    dear reader,
    Does any one know about Quark. i know that quarks make the nutrons and protons. But i still dont understand it clearly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2003 #2
    a website

Introduction to particle physics
    Here I quote a paragraph from the above website. This website is quite interesting and easy to read.

After reading this website, I'm sure you can get lots of information about elementary particles besides quarks.
  4. Jun 18, 2003 #3
    All matter is composed of quarks and/or leptons. These are the fundamental particles of matter. For example, look at a simple hydrogen atom. It has a single proton and a single electron. The proton is composed of three quarks (two ups and one down); the electron is a specific type of lepton. A deuterium isotope is a hydrogen atom with a neutron in the nucleus. Like the proton, the neutron is also composed of three quarks (one up and two downs).

String theorists tell us that quarks and leptons are fundamentally composed an identical entity, the string. The characteristic that gives rise to the difference between these two species is the mode of vibration of the said string.

5. Jun 18, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 18, 2003 #5

entropy: Haven't you forgotten gluons there?
  7. Jun 18, 2003 #6
    Well, I don't think there is any type of matter that is composed of gluons... so no, I didn't forget gluons.

But what do I know? I am but a mere quantum engineer. The information I have provided is what I remember from sophomore-level modern physics. Typically, I only deal with the theory of quantum mechanics... I don't get into the standard model... and I don't really don't worry about the structure of matter that often.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2003
  8. Jun 18, 2003 #7
    I guess I'm wrong, I have just learned that in theory there exists a particle composed of gluons called a glueball. Suffice it to say, you won't find any ordinary matter composed of gluons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2003
  9. Jun 18, 2003 #8

Science Advisor

Yang-mills gauge charges sit at the ends of open strings and are not determined by vibrational degrees of freedom.
  10. Jun 18, 2003 #9
    And I'm sure that means so much to the beginner inquiring about what quarks are... jeff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?