Solve Quarry Crane Problem: Find Rope 2 Tension

• Thread starter yandao87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crane
In summary, the crane uses two poles to lift a block of granite. The angle between the pole and the second rope is tither and both poles are considered massless. The block hangs from the top of the pole and the tension in the second rope determines the force exerted on the block.
yandao87

Homework Statement

A quarry crane is used to lift massive rocks from a quarry pit. Consider the simplified model of such a crane shown in the figure. The ends of two poles are anchored to the ground at the same point (point O). From this point, one pole rises vertically and the second pole rises at an angle. The vertical pole has its free end connected to the ground via an unstretchable, massless rope labeled rope 1. A second rope, labeled rope 2, connects the free ends of the two poles. The angle between the tilted pole and rope 2 is tither. Both poles have length and can be considered massless for the purposes of this problem. Hanging from the end of the second pole, via rope 3, is a granite block of mass m.

Throughout this problem use g for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4794/97030.jpg

Find tension in rope 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to find torque about point O, but i couldn't resolve the angles. i know that the moment about O caused by tension in rope two should be equal to moment about O caused by the weight mg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yandao87 said:
i tried to find torque about point O, but i couldn't resolve the angles. i know that the moment about O caused by tension in rope two should be equal to moment about O caused by the weight mg.

I'd resolve the angles. With the 2 poles the same length, recognize that you have an isosceles triangle and that the other angle at the top will also be θ.

That means you can resolve the bottom angle and hence the angle that the pole holding the m*g is making with the horizontal.

yes I've solved it. thank you. i need to use triangle geometry.

What is the quarry crane problem?

The quarry crane problem involves finding the tension in rope 2 in a crane system used to lift large stones in a quarry. This is a common problem in engineering and physics, and it requires knowledge of forces, pulleys, and equilibrium.

What are the steps to solve the quarry crane problem?

The steps to solve the quarry crane problem are: 1) draw a free-body diagram of the crane system, labeling all forces and angles, 2) write out the equations of equilibrium for each pulley and the load, 3) solve for the tension in rope 2 using the equations and known values, and 4) check your solution by substituting the tension into the equations and ensuring they are satisfied.

What assumptions are made when solving the quarry crane problem?

Assumptions made when solving the quarry crane problem may include: 1) the ropes and pulleys are ideal, meaning they have no mass or friction, 2) the crane is in static equilibrium, meaning all forces are balanced and there is no acceleration, and 3) the load is evenly distributed and does not change during the lifting process.

How does the angle of the ropes affect the tension in rope 2?

The angle of the ropes affects the tension in rope 2 because the tension is dependent on the angle between the ropes. As the angle changes, the tension in rope 2 will also change. This is due to the trigonometric relationship between the angles and the forces in the crane system.

What are some real-world applications of solving the quarry crane problem?

Solving the quarry crane problem has various real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing cranes for lifting heavy loads in construction, mining, and manufacturing industries. It also has applications in understanding the mechanical systems of human and animal muscles, as they function similarly to pulley systems.