1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quarter cylinder dam gate

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    This is a picture of a quarter cylinder dam gate with a hinge at A and a stopper at B.
    [Broken]
    I need to find the force on the stopper at B as a function of the radius (R) and height of the water (h). I was going to do this by working out the moments around the hinge at A. I can solve for pressure forces and weight forces of the gate but I don't know the normal force from the ground. The hinge will have a force in the y direction so it will affect the normal force. I also don't know where to position my normal force, is it always going to be 1/2 of R or will it go through the combined centre of mass of gate and water above?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    Alternatively am I thinking about this problem in the wrong way and need to try a different method to find the force on the stopper?

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    Does the gate really touch the ground? Perhaps it only touches the stopper?

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4
    Thanks, I spoke to the lecturer today and he said that the reaction from the ground is zero.

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5
    So, can you proceed with the solution then?

7. Sep 4, 2013 #6
    Yes, I'm fine now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted