Fixing Error: (vlog-7) Failed to Open Design Unit File

In summary, the software is trying to open a different file than the one it is supposed to create. It is possible to fix the problem by copying the .bdf files from another project into the current project.
garthenar
Homework Statement:: None. This is part of implementing a project and not an actual question. It's a technical problem or equipment failure.
Relevant Equations:: The Code I get is;
Error: (vlog-7) Failed to open design unit file "Waveform.vwf.vt" in read mode.

[Mentor Note -- moved to the technical Programming forum for better views]

I am not able to see the answer in the quick start guide.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_gs_msa_qii.pdf

The file is not named Waveform, it's named Lab4 in both the source file and testbench

First, I would like to state that before coming here I've been reading through technical guides, manuals and the Intel forums looking for an answer. Now I'm resorting to posting on this forum.

I'm trying to run a functional system but it's failing and from what I can tell it's trying to open a different file thant the one I'm having it create. I can't figure out where I can change whatever setting is causing this.

I may have to create a new project and copy my .bdf files into it as I have had that work before. However, I am genuinely interested in this software even beyond the scope of my class and would like to learn how to fix this problem in the future.

Also, This is my first project where I've created a .bsf file to create a component in my top level design (A full adder). I don't know if I messed that up in some way but it's the only difference I know of between this and previous projects.

Eddit
I have tested this circuits on my DEO-CV CycloneV and it works fine as a 8bit 2's complement binary adder/subtractor.

This is error I get in the test window after atempting to run the simulation.
1582919755196.png

Testbench Generation Comand (pathing)
quartus_eda --gen_testbench --tool=modelsim_oem --format=verilog --write_settings_files=off Lab4 -c Lab4 --vector_source="C:/Users/xgp15a2/Documents/ECE 102 Labs/Lab4/Lab4.vwf" --testbench_file="C:/Users/xgp15a2/Documents/ECE 102 Labs/Lab4/simulation/qsim/Lab4.vwf.vt"

I have fixed pathing in previous projects and have checked to make sure the pathing is correct as can be seen below.
1582920297917.png

Netlist Generation Command (all i know is this generates a Netlest, I don't know what the Netlist is)
quartus_eda --write_settings_files=off --simulation --functional=on --flatten_buses=off --tool=modelsim_oem --format=verilog --output_directory="C:/Users/xgp15a2/Documents/ECE 102 Labs/Lab4/simulation/qsim/" Lab4 -c Lab4

Modelsim Script
onerror {exit -code 1}
vlib work
vlog -work work Lab4.vo
vlog -work work Waveform.vwf.vt
vsim -novopt -c -t 1ps -L cyclonev_ver -L altera_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L 220model_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver work.Lab4_vlg_vec_tst
vcd file -direction Lab4.msim.vcd
vcd add -internal Lab4_vlg_vec_tst/*
vcd add -internal Lab4_vlg_vec_tst/i1/*
proc simTimestamp {} {
echo "Simulation time: $::now ps"

if { [string equal running [runStatus]] } {
after 2500 simTimestamp
}
}

after 2500 simTimestamp

run -all

quit -f

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
editide line 4 of the model sim script from
vlog -work work Waveform.vwf.vt
to
vlog -work work Lab4.vwf.vt

reduced the error to
1582926722985.png

but it should be noted that the flow progress readout is way, way longer than it was. I don't know if I've gotten closer to getting this to work or if I've f'ed it up more but I'm now looking at the Lab.4.do file to see what can be done there

1582926872207.png

changed the location where the simulation is storing Lab4.vwf.vt to qsim/work and fixed it to the point where the simulation completes but now won't open the completed file automatically. I'm going to check and see if it opens manualy in a bit but the new screen is

1582927738378.png

I can open Lab4.vwf.vt manualy but its a verilog testbench file and not an output like I was hoping. It's looking for it in qsim and not qsim.work so now I need to figure out where the pathing for that is.

garthenar said:
Lab4.vwf.vt
Not a guaranteed solution, but this has been a problem in the past.

Some programs consider everything after a "." (period) to be a file extension. This is a carry-over from earlier versions of Windows (and maybe other OS's). Historically, there has been a restriction of not allowing a "." in a directory name, same problem.

I see you have violated both of the above (perhaps outdated) restrictions in "Lab4.vwf.vt", "Waveform.vwf.vt", and in "c:/intelfpga_lite/18.2/...".

Anyhow, try cleaning those up and give it another shot.

Please let us know any results.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Not a guaranteed solution, but this has been a problem in the past.

Some programs consider everything after a "." (period) to be a file extension. This is a carry-over from earlier versions of Windows (and maybe other OS's). Historically, there has been a restriction of not allowing a "." in a directory name, same problem.

I see you have violated both of the above (perhaps outdated) restrictions in "Lab4.vwf.vt", "Waveform.vwf.vt", and in "c:/intelfpga_lite/18.2/...".

Anyhow, try cleaning those up and give it another shot.

Please let us know any results.

Cheers,
Tom
Sorry for the long wait time. Schools being chaotic since they're trying to figure out how to put everything online as a stop gap for the Corona Virus. Removing the "." did not work although I'm sure what you suggested will come in handy. I'm going to see if I can find a professor or Grad Student who is really good with verilog or Quartus because I think it's something to do with the verilog that is being generated.

1. What does the error message "Failed to Open Design Unit File" mean?

This error message means that the design unit file, which is a file that contains information about a specific design element, could not be opened or accessed. This could be due to various reasons, such as a missing or corrupted file, incorrect file permissions, or a problem with the software or hardware.

2. Why am I getting this error?

There could be several reasons for getting this error. Some common causes include a missing or corrupted design unit file, a problem with the software or hardware, or a mistake in the file path or name. It is also possible that the file is being accessed by another process, making it inaccessible.

3. How can I fix this error?

The solution to this error depends on the cause. First, check if the file exists and is not corrupted. If it is, try renaming the file or moving it to a different location. If the file is being used by another process, close the process and try again. You can also try restarting your computer or updating your software. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to seek help from a technical expert.

4. How can I prevent this error from happening?

To prevent this error, make sure to regularly back up your files and keep your software and hardware up-to-date. Double-check file names and paths before running any processes. Also, ensure that you have the correct permissions to access the file. It is also a good idea to close any unnecessary processes or programs before attempting to open the design unit file.

5. Is there any way to recover data from a design unit file that cannot be opened?

If the design unit file cannot be opened due to corruption or other issues, it may be possible to recover data from it using specialized software or services. However, there is no guarantee that all data can be recovered, and it may be a costly and time-consuming process. It is always best to regularly back up your files to prevent the loss of important data.