1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quartz crystal oscillator problem

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Hello

I am having difficulty with an assignment problem I have been set. It is an exercise based in Excel. Here is the problem I was given:

For typical values R = 35 Ohms, L = 150 mH , Cs = 10 fF and Cp = 15pf, evaluate the expression for the impedance (equation (B4)) as a function of frequency in the range .
    Then use equation (1) with Rd = 10 kOhms to evaluate (Vo/Vi) in another column on the same spreadsheet (just assume Vi = 1 V).
    Plot a graph of (Vo/Vi) vs. frequency (again on the same spreadsheet) and ensure that you can see a resonant feature in it. The resonant feature is actually a double-feature, a dip followed immediately by a peak. This double-feature is very sharp, so make sure you use a fine enough frequency interval to observe it. If you do not observe it, check your input values and your calculation.

The equations referenced in the problem can be found here:
    [​IMG]

My main problem is that when I draw my graph I am not getting the double feature mentioned in the problem.

Here is my work so far:
    [​IMG]
    And here is the worksheet with equations on display:
    [​IMG]
    Here is my graph:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I understand this is a rather large demand. I've been stuck on this for days and my head is now fried.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2
    I managed to get the problem resolved! Thanks anyway =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?