1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quasar Help

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a quasar varies on a time scale of four months, how does the maximum size of the emitting region compare with the Schwarzschild radius for a 109 MSun black hole?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Calculating the S radius of the black hole is trivial, but I think I missed the lecture on varying quasars. I don't know of any equations for 'emitting regions' let alone how to use its rotation period to do so. Can anyone start me off on the right track?

fwiw I calculated the S radius by the eqn 3km(M/Msun) = 3 x1012 m

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if the source varies on a time scale of 4months whats the maximum size it can have?

hint - you are probably supposed to picture it's extent in a line of sight to you and assume the actual brightness change is instantaneous an comes from the full extent of the source.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3

I see, so are we assuming that it can only extend to a maximum size of 4 light months?
    4 light months corresponds to roughly 3.1 e15 meters, which is about 1000 times the size of the S radius of the black hole.

Does this sound right?

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's how I read it.
    In reality the emission is going to come from a large acreation disk around the hole so it's easy to imagine that as 1000x the Rs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook