1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quasi-electrostatic capacitor

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to find the electric and magnetic fields between two parallel circular plates, where one plate is grounded and the the other has a voltage that increases linearly with time. I need the E field between plates, and I can ignore fringing fields. The permativity is specified to be ##\epsilon_0##.

2. Relevant equations
    ## V(t)=at ## where ##a## is a constant.
    The radius of the plates is given to be ##R##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##E(\vec{r},t)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\frac{(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')\rho(\vec{r}',t)d^3r'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}##

##\rho(\vec{r},t)=##???

With the E field I would find the B field using

## \nabla \times B=\mu_0\vec{J}+\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t} ##

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like a simple parallel plate capacitor setup. You can find the plate area easily enough from the given radius. Do you have a value for plate separation?

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    I would assume that I could just call the plate separation ##d##

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure. And it's well known that, ignoring edge effects, the electric field between the plates of a parallel capacitor is uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted