So, why did the author do this?

In summary: Hi LCKurtz,In summary, the author argues that it is unnecessary to parametrize the circle in the way the author does, and that this parametrization satisfies the equation x^2 + y^2 = k, so it must be a correct parametrization. However, this line of logic fails because the parameter is eliminated.
kingwinner
I am confused by the following example about solving quasilinear first order PDEs.

pde1.JPG

For the part I circled, the solution is just x^2 + y^2 = k where k is an arbitrary constant. To parametrize it in terms of t, can't we just put x = a cos(t), y = a sin(t) ? Here we only have one arbitrary constant a.
But in the example, they used a weird parametrization of a circle that includes TWO arbitary constants a and b. So my point is: why introduce another extra arbitrary constant when it is completely unnecessary to do so?

Can someone please explain why it is absolutely necessary to parametrize the circle in the way they do?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

[note: also under discussion in S.O.S. math cyberboard]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look a couple of lines above what you circled you will see you need to solve the system:

x'(t) = y(t), y'(t) = -x(t)

So x''(t) = y'(t) = -x(t) giving x''(t) + x(t) = 0. This has the general solution:

x(t) = a cos(t) + b sin(t)
y(t) = -x'(t) = a sin(t) - b cos(t)

Hi LCKurtz,

OK, now I see why the circled part is correct by using your method. Your way actually makes more sense to me :)

But why is the author trying to combine the two equations dx/dt = y, dy/dt = -x ? How is this going to help us to solve the system?
Combining these two, we get dy/dx = -x/y, the general solution is just x^2 + y^2 = k where k is an arbitrary constant. To parametrize this general solution it in terms of t, just put x = a cos(t), y = a sin(t), right? This parametrization satisfies the equation x^2 + y^2 = k, so it must be a correct parametrization. What is wrong with this approach? Can you please point out where this line of logic fails?

Thank you!

I don't know why your author eliminates the parameter. I wouldn't have, but then I also don't write PDE books or notes.

The problem generally with eliminating parameters is that you lose information. In your case, you have a system of 2 DE's and would expect a two parameter family of trajectories. That fact disappears when you eliminate the parameter.

1. What is a quasilinear first order PDE?

A quasilinear first order PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves both dependent and independent variables, as well as their first order partial derivatives. This means that the equation is not linear, and the coefficients of the dependent variables can also contain the independent variables.

2. What are some examples of quasilinear first order PDEs?

Some examples of quasilinear first order PDEs include the transport equation, the Burgers' equation, and the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. These types of equations are commonly used in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics and engineering.

3. How do you solve a quasilinear first order PDE?

The solution to a quasilinear first order PDE often involves using a method called the method of characteristics. This method involves converting the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations, which can then be solved using standard techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

4. What are the applications of quasilinear first order PDEs?

Quasilinear first order PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and wave propagation. They are also used in economics, finance, and other areas where mathematical models are used to understand complex systems.

5. What are the challenges of working with quasilinear first order PDEs?

Solving quasilinear first order PDEs can be challenging due to their nonlinearity and the complexity of their solutions. Additionally, the method of characteristics may not always be applicable, and other techniques such as numerical methods may be required. Furthermore, understanding and interpreting the physical meaning of the solutions can also be a challenge, as these equations can describe complex and nonlinear phenomena.