Quasistatic Approximation

In summary, the conversation is about using the surface current density \vec K(t) to find the B-field using Ampere's law and Faraday's law. The speaker is skeptical about using this method and is considering using the "quasistatic approximation" where the B-field is treated as in magnetostatics. It is also mentioned that finding the total flux inside the circulating current is difficult and that in the quasi-static case, j = σE.
AdkinsJr
I'd rather not post the exact problem since it's homework, I don't think my instructor in E&M would want me posting full problems but I will just ask relevant conceptual question...

Let's say we I have a long cylinder with time-defendant surface current density [tex]\vec K(t)=K_of(t)[/tex]. So if I want to find the B-field, can I still use ampere's law? My idea was to find current from the definition of surface current density,

[tex]\vec K(t) =\frac{dI}{dl_{\perp}}=K_of(t) [/tex]

EDIT: the direction of K is in the "phi" direction in cylindrical coordinate, the field is therefore oriented along the positive z-axis...

So now I have [tex]I(t)=\int K_of(t) dl_{\perp}=K_of(t)\int dl_{\perp}[/tex]

I'm kind of skeptical about find the E-field everywhere by applying ampere's law to find the B-field, then finding the flux, then using faraday's law to find the field. There is a problem in my text in which a "quasistatic approximation" is used to find the B-field given a time-varying current, where basically they just treated it as you would in magnetostatics. So do I need to assess if f(t) is slow enough for the approximation or can enclosed current be a function of time?

[tex]\int \vec B \cdot \vec dl = \mu_oI_{enc}(t)[/tex]

It kind of makes sense since I could just claim it is a time-dependant b-field when I apply ampere's law.

To summerize, basically I'm trying to use K to find I, then use I to find B, then use B to find flux, then use flux to find E... can this be done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is correct. Find I with K. Use Ampere's law to get B, then Faraday's law to get E. If I'm understanding the problem statement correctly, you have a solenoid in the limit that the number of turns per unit length goes to infinity. Is that right?

I don't think you can find the B field using Ampere's law.

The B field along the z axis is probably deteminable by Biot-Savart fairly readily though I've never done it for an infinite cylinder..

Finding the total flux inside the circulating current is prohibitively difficult unless you're willing to delve into elliptical integrals. So faraday is out as I see it (perhaps I will be refuted).

In the quasi-static case there is always j = σE where j is current density and E is the E field inside the cylinder. So since j = 0 inside the cylinder one can say that so is the E field.

What is the Quasistatic Approximation?

The Quasistatic Approximation is a method used in physics to simplify complex systems by assuming that they are in a state of equilibrium, with no significant changes occurring over time. It is often used in situations where the system's dynamics are much slower than the time scale of interest, making it a reasonable approximation.

How is the Quasistatic Approximation used in research?

The Quasistatic Approximation is used in research to simplify the analysis of complex systems, particularly in fields such as electrical engineering, mechanics, and thermodynamics. It allows researchers to focus on the most important aspects of a system and make useful predictions without having to consider all of the system's dynamics.

What are the limitations of the Quasistatic Approximation?

While the Quasistatic Approximation can be a useful tool, it is not always accurate. It assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it neglects any changes that may occur over time, which can lead to errors in certain situations.

How does the Quasistatic Approximation differ from other approximations?

The Quasistatic Approximation differs from other approximations in that it focuses on the equilibrium state of a system, rather than its dynamic behavior. This makes it useful in situations where the system's dynamics are slow compared to the time scale of interest.

What are some real-world applications of the Quasistatic Approximation?

The Quasistatic Approximation has many real-world applications, including in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, the study of fluid dynamics, and the modeling of mechanical systems. It is also commonly used in the study of thermodynamics, where it allows researchers to simplify complex systems and make useful predictions about their behavior.