Quaternion Group Multiplication Table

In summary, a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table is a mathematical tool used to represent the multiplication properties of a group of quaternions, which are complex numbers used in physics and computer graphics. It is read like a regular multiplication table and is useful for visualizing and solving complex problems within the group. The table is constructed by listing all elements and their products, and has applications in various fields including computer graphics and crystallography.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Obtain multiplication table for quaternion group.

Homework Equations

##i^2=j^2=k^2=ijk=-1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have problem with elements for example ##ji## in the table. For example when I have ##ij## I say
##ijk=-1## and ##k^2=-1## so ##ij=k##. But what in the case of ##ji##? I do not know how to obtain this result.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you post-multiply (ji) by (ijk)?

Tnx!

What is a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table?

A Quaternion Group Multiplication Table is a mathematical tool used to represent the multiplication properties of a group of objects known as quaternions. Quaternions are a type of mathematical object that extend the concept of complex numbers and are used in various fields such as physics and computer graphics.

How do you read a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table?

A Quaternion Group Multiplication Table is read like a regular multiplication table, where the numbers in the rows and columns represent the elements of the quaternion group. To multiply two quaternions, find the row of the first quaternion and the column of the second quaternion and locate their intersection. The number at the intersection represents the product of the two quaternions.

Why is a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table useful?

A Quaternion Group Multiplication Table is useful because it provides a visual representation of the multiplication properties of a quaternion group, making it easier to understand and perform calculations. It also allows for the identification of special properties and patterns within the group, which can be used to solve complex problems.

How is a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table constructed?

A Quaternion Group Multiplication Table is constructed by listing all the elements of the quaternion group in the rows and columns, and filling in the intersections with the products of the corresponding elements. This process is repeated until all possible combinations have been accounted for, resulting in a complete multiplication table for the group.

What are some applications of a Quaternion Group Multiplication Table?

A Quaternion Group Multiplication Table has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and robotics. It is used to calculate rotations, orientations, and transformations in 3D space. It is also used in the study of crystallography, where quaternions are used to describe the symmetries of crystals.