Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quaternion theory

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    Quaternions are generalizations of 3- vectors, in the same as complex numbers are generalizations of 2- vectors. Should quaternions be considered an extension of the real numbers as the complex numbers were?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't they be considered generalizations of 4-vectors? A quaternion has four components.

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    Oh I thought quaternions were just adding 1 more part to a complex number. I must be way wrong.

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The "quatern" part comes from Latin, meaning "four times."

A quaternion has the form q = ai + bj + ck + d, where i, j, and k are such that i2 = j2 = k2 = -1.

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5
    You are not alone. My recollection is that Hamilton was trying to add one more dimension to complex number to make a three part number. He wasn't able to find a way to make add just one dimension and have it be an extension of the complex numbers. Quaternions, however, are an extension to the complex numbers.

7. Jun 12, 2015 #6
    Thank you, and ya for the longest time having not researched quaternions in depth, I always thought they were a 3-d version of the real numbers with three components. After reading the Wikipedia article on quaternion I understand Hamilton's motivation behind the four parts now.

8. Nov 10, 2016 #7
    Yes, undoubtedly!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted