Exploring Quasars and Black Holes

In summary: These fields then have a polar orientation, and can cause the jet.In summary, quasars are compact regions surrounding the central supermassive black hole of a massive galaxy. These regions are 10-10,000 times the Schwarzschild radius and produce jets due to the rotation of the accretion disk and the resulting magnetic fields. The jets originate outside of the event horizon and are not affected by the strong gravity of the black hole. This is how a quasar beam can escape the black hole despite no light being able to do so.
lnsanity
How a quasar beam can get out of a black hole if no light is suppose to be able to get out of the event horizon of a black hole. ? Is it because the beam is created outside of the event horizon ? From what I understand quasar is created because of excess of matter on the black hole correct me if i am wrong... so what I think is when no more matter can get inside the black hole than a quasar is created from the excess matter outside the event horizon ?

That would mean that a black hole as a maximum mass volume and size ? again correct me if I am missing something?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, this is a bit here and there. If you can give a cleaner account, then maybe we can go further, but I'll leave it with a simple explanation:

Yes, you're right in that nothing gets out of a black hole because

1) Nothing goes faster than the speed of light (it would violate causality)
2) Inside a black hole, you see your spatial dimensions switch with your time dimension. So, since time always goes forward you'll always increase your "distance as you'd see it outside a black hole" meaning you always fall towards the center.

Now, for the quasars (sp!). I'm not an expert, so maybe someone else can contribute, but a quick survey of Wikipedia says that:

"...there is now a scientific consensus that a quasar is a compact region in the center of a massive galaxy surrounding its central supermassive black hole. Its size is 10–10,000 times the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole."

Read the "Schwarzschild radius" to be the point of no return of a black hole. But don't take my word for it.*

*-Reading Rainbow riff.

Events occurring outside the event horizon are less affected by gravity of the black hole. That is where jets originate.

I think the quasar jets are from matter being accelerated into the black hole. They are not coming out of the hole they are escaping fro the region.

If it’s coming from the accretion disk, then why is it so highly collimated?

Imax said:

Coiled magnetic fields caused by the rotation of the disk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_jet

Imax said:

Not totally sure, it has something to do with the magnetic field. yadda. yadda. yadda.

But it probably doesn't have much to do with the black hole since you see similar jets from things that aren't black holes.

lnsanity said:
How a quasar beam can get out of a black hole if no light is suppose to be able to get out of the event horizon of a black hole? Is it because the beam is created outside of the event horizon?

The beam comes from an accretion disk, mass accumulating about stable orbits of a black hole. Molecules in the disk can move about, colliding, and can create magnetic and electric fields.

1. What is a quasar?

A quasar is a celestial object that emits an incredibly large amount of energy and light. They are believed to be the brightest and most distant objects in the universe, and are thought to be powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies.

2. How are quasars and black holes related?

Quasars are thought to be powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies. As matter falls into the black hole, it heats up and emits large amounts of energy, creating the bright light of a quasar.

3. How do scientists study quasars and black holes?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study quasars and black holes, including observing their light emissions, studying the effects of their gravity on surrounding objects, and using computer simulations to model their behavior.

4. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three types of black holes: stellar-mass black holes, intermediate-mass black holes, and supermassive black holes. They vary in size and are formed through different processes.

5. How do quasars and black holes contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quasars and black holes play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. They provide insight into the evolution of galaxies, the nature of gravity, and the structure of space and time. Studying them also helps us understand the origins of the universe and its overall structure.