1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qubits and quantum evolution

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I have a problem where I'm given the following

[itex]H=-\frac{\hbar\Omega}{2}\sigma_x\quad\quad\quad\textrm{and}\quad\quad\quad\Psi(0)=\left|0\right\rangle\quad[/itex]
    Where

[itex]\sigma_x=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\1&0\end{pmatrix}\quad\quad\quad\textrm{and}\quad\quad\quad\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    And in general

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[-i\frac{H}{\hbar}t\right]\Psi(0)[/itex]
    So

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex]
    The problem is I need to get from here to

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\\i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}\\\\\\
    \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\,\,\,\,=\begin{pmatrix}cos(\Omega t/2)\\isin(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]

I can't work out how to get to this cos and sine matrix. I tried this

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\left\lbrace\textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right)\right\rbrace\left|0\right\rangle\\\\
    \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad=\left\lbrace\textrm{cos}\begin{pmatrix}0 & \frac{\Omega t}{2}\\\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}+i\textrm{sin}\begin{pmatrix}0 & \frac{\Omega t}{2}\\\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}\right\rbrace\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Beyond this I cannot see how to get from here to

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\\i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    Any help would be really appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There might be more than one way to approach the problem, but I would proceed thus. You can calculate the exponential of a matrix easily if the matrix is diagonal. For
    $$
    A = \left( \begin{array}{cc} a_1 & 0 \\ 0 & a_2 \end{array} \right)
    $$
    $$
    \exp(A) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} e^{a_1} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{a_2} \end{array} \right)
    $$
    Can you find the rotation that brings you from the z-basis to the x-basis?

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3
    Thanks for responding,

So based on what you've said for the exponential of a matrix the expression in my original post would become

[itex]
    \Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\textrm{exp}\left[\begin{pmatrix}0 & i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\\i\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}0 & \textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right]\\\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right] & 0\end{pmatrix}\left|0\right\rangle\\\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad=\begin{pmatrix}0 & \textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)\\\textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right) & 0\end{pmatrix}\left|0\right\rangle

[/itex]

is that correct? It doesn't seem much closer to the intended end result.

When you asked about the rotation are you referring to the relationships [itex]\sigma_y\sigma_z=-i\sigma_x[/itex] etc.?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Calculating the exponential of a matrix by taking the exponential of the elements only works for a diagonal matrix. You can show this by considering the series expansion of the exponential function.

You do not have a diagonal matrix, this is why I said you need to look at the rotation matrix that will bring you from the z basis to the x basis, in which ##\sigma_x## is diagonal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted