Qubits Probability: Calculating Pr for State Psi 01

In summary, the probability of measuring a specific energy state in quantum mechanics is calculated by taking the square of the magnitude of the coefficient. This includes the complex conjugate for cases where the coefficient is not purely real.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4476/46715318ov5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to calculate the pr we square the number in front of the state.

e.g) for state psi 00, the pr is (1/root(2))^2

But for state psi 01, do I include the imaginary number part? That is, do I calculate the square of (1+i/2root(2))?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
t_n_p said:

Homework Statement

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4476/46715318ov5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to calculate the pr we square the number in front of the state.

e.g) for state psi 00, the pr is (1/root(2))^2

But for state psi 01, do I include the imaginary number part? That is, do I calculate the square of (1+i/2root(2))?

Thanks

The probability is the square of the magnitude of the coefficient (if the wavefunction is normalized). So the formula is that the probability of measuring E_{01} for example is

[tex] \vert C_{01} \vert^2 = C_{01} \times C_{01}^* [/tex]

which is obviousy a rel number.
This should be familiar to you. Of course, when the coefficient is real, this becomes simply the ordinary square of the coefficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah so its the complex conjugate. Makes sense!

What is a qubit?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is a unit of quantum information that can exist in multiple states at the same time due to the principles of quantum mechanics.

What is the probability of a qubit being in state Psi 01?

The probability of a qubit being in state Psi 01 is determined by calculating the squared magnitude of the coefficients for the state. This can be represented by the formula P(Psi 01) = |c01|^2, where c01 is the coefficient for state Psi 01.

What is the significance of calculating the probability for a qubit's state?

Calculating the probability for a qubit's state allows us to predict the likelihood of obtaining a certain measurement outcome when observing the qubit. This is important in quantum computing, where precise control and measurement of qubits is crucial for performing calculations.

How is the probability of a qubit's state affected by external factors?

The probability of a qubit's state can be affected by external factors such as noise, temperature, and interactions with other qubits. These factors can cause the qubit to deviate from its intended state and affect the accuracy of measurement outcomes.

What is the relationship between qubit states and classical bits?

Qubits are the quantum equivalent of classical bits, but they have the ability to exist in multiple states at the same time. This allows for more complex and powerful computing capabilities compared to classical bits, which can only exist in a single state at a time.