Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Qucik easy question

1. Apr 1, 2004 #1
    alright.... i just figured out two magnetic fields, and now the question is asking me to find out the net magnetic field and the direction, for the net i would just subtract the biggest from the smallest, and then i use the Right hand rule to figure out the direction of the B field.... is this correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2
    Try vector addition, not a combination of vector addition and the cross product.

cookiemonster

4. Apr 1, 2004 #3
    so u mena like set the bigge one - the smaller one = 0?

5. Apr 1, 2004 #4
    It doesn't matter which one's bigger or smaller.

You are familiar with vector addition, correct?

[tex]\vec{v} = <v_x,v_y>[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{v} + \vec{u} = <v_x,v_y> + <u_x,u_y> = <v_x + u_x,v_y + u_y>[/tex]

And bigger - smaller = 0 would imply that bigger = smaller, just for reference.

cookiemonster

6. Apr 2, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, when he said "try vector addition", believe it or not, he actually meant "add". You already know the two fields separately- the "net" force field is exactly the same as the sum- if the two forces are in the same direction, then the "net" force is "larger" (in strength)- if they are in opposite directions, the sum is smaller (in strength). In any case, the vector properties will take care of that- just add the vectors.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook