Exploring Queer Engineers: Is Engineering Anti-Gay?

• Thread starter uberXjimmy
  • Start date
In summary, the engineering field can be both welcoming and challenging for LGBTQ+ individuals, as it largely depends on the specific workplace and culture. There are notable LGBTQ+ engineers, such as Lynn Conway and Edith Clarke, who have made significant contributions to the field. However, there are still challenges that LGBTQ+ engineers may face, such as discrimination and difficulty advancing in their careers. Resources and organizations, such as NOGLSTP and SOLAS, are available to support LGBTQ+ engineers. Allies can also play a crucial role in supporting LGBTQ+ individuals in the workplace by educating themselves, amplifying voices, and promoting diversity and inclusion.
uberXjimmy
Hi,
I have concerns on if engineering is as a profession homophobic.
I have read a variety of things on engineering which have convinced me that I like engineering however I read many things on the subject of gays in engineering and they were either not clear or all together negative.
So is engineering anti-gay and homophobic ? or is it more tolerent than I thought?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineers are human, some are tolerant some are not.

How ever I am totally intolerent of threads such as this one.

for your question. I understand your concerns and it's important to address the issue of homophobia in any profession, including engineering. However, it's important to note that engineering as a profession is not inherently anti-gay or homophobic. Like any field, there may be individuals who hold discriminatory views, but that does not reflect the overall culture of engineering.

In fact, there are many successful and celebrated queer engineers who have made significant contributions to their field. Organizations such as the National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP) and the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) have created safe and inclusive spaces for LGBTQ+ individuals in engineering.

That being said, there may still be challenges and discrimination faced by queer engineers in the workplace. It's important for companies and organizations to have policies and practices in place that promote diversity and inclusivity. It's also important for individuals to educate themselves and actively work towards creating an inclusive and accepting environment for all colleagues, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Overall, while there may be instances of homophobia in engineering, it is not a reflection of the profession as a whole. There are many queer engineers who are thriving and making important contributions, and it's important to continue advocating for inclusivity and acceptance in the field. I hope this helps address your concerns.

1. Is engineering a welcoming field for LGBTQ+ individuals?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. It largely depends on the specific workplace and culture within the engineering industry. While there are certainly instances of discrimination and lack of acceptance, there are also many examples of inclusive and supportive environments. It's important for LGBTQ+ individuals to research and find companies and organizations that have clear policies promoting diversity and inclusion.

2. Are there any notable LGBTQ+ engineers?

Yes, there are many notable LGBTQ+ engineers who have made significant contributions to the field. Some examples include Lynn Conway, a computer scientist and transgender rights activist, and Edith Clarke, the first female electrical engineer and inventor of the Clarke calculator. It's important to recognize and celebrate the achievements of LGBTQ+ individuals in engineering to promote visibility and representation.

3. Are there any challenges that LGBTQ+ engineers face in the workplace?

Unfortunately, there are still challenges that LGBTQ+ engineers may face in the workplace, such as discrimination, lack of support from colleagues, and difficulty advancing in their careers. These challenges can vary depending on the individual's location, workplace, and personal experiences. It's important for companies and organizations to actively work towards creating inclusive and supportive environments for LGBTQ+ engineers.

4. Are there any resources or organizations for LGBTQ+ engineers?

Yes, there are several resources and organizations available for LGBTQ+ engineers. Some examples include the National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP) and the Society of LGBTQ+ and Allies in STEM (SOLAS). These organizations provide support, networking opportunities, and resources for LGBTQ+ individuals in the STEM fields.

5. How can allies support LGBTQ+ engineers in the workplace?

Allies can support LGBTQ+ engineers in the workplace by educating themselves on LGBTQ+ issues and terminology, listening to and amplifying the voices of LGBTQ+ individuals, and actively promoting diversity and inclusion within their workplace. Allies can also stand up against discrimination and advocate for policies and practices that support LGBTQ+ individuals in the engineering field.