1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Queries about tensional force

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Hi, I learnt the basics about tensional force and I have some queries about it. I'm hoping you guys are able to clear out these doubts. When I have string connected to an object on one hand and the other is connected to me, when I exert a force which is too small in magnitude to move myself eg I pull with 10N and the string pulls back with 10N. But I thought the object also experiences a force of 10N, so why won't it move forward?

Then when I raise my force to 15N such that now I have a net force of 5N I will thus start to move forward. However, I thought the object behind experience 10N of force too? So why is it able to move now unlike the previous scenario.

I think my theory is quite wrong so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this. Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    It does accelerate unless another force like friction is canceling the exerted force.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    It can move? Isn't that very weird like I'm not moving but the object its connected to is... is it possible for you to explain the tension concept to me? I'm guessing that my understanding of this is pretty much messed up... thanks for the help!

5. Apr 7, 2012 #4
    i think maybe you are ,mistaking the action reaction forces. they sre equal in magnitude opposite in direction and act on different masses so different inertias and they have different resistance to motion so while you may move,. the same force acts on a different inertia and depending on its mass and net force actin on it(friction incl.) so does its acceleration.

6. Apr 7, 2012 #5
    I don't think tension force is anything special. Suppose you are in a space with zero gravity. If you pull a little, the object moves toward you. As soon as it moves, if the location of your hand doesn't change, the string looses and the tension becomes zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook