Can a Centralized Reference Library Save Time on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
In summary, a PF member found some helpful references already posted on PF, but found it not easy to locate them by subject or advanced search. They suggest organizing the references by subject and having a central location for them.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oftentimes I reference a link when helping a fellow PF user. In an effort
save time, I try to find useful references already posted on PF.
In doing so, I found it not very easy to locate them by subject or advanced search.

For specific subjects, several have pointed me to the https://www.physicsforums.com/local_links.php? section.
(where I've also posted some links - Elec Engr section)
However I also found some (partially organized by subject) under
Math & Science Tutorials and others under Sticky's
e.g.
Chemistry websites
Astronomy & Cosmology

What do you all think about assembling these kinds of useful references by subject, in a central location, perhaps called Reference Library? (Thanks Phobos for the the inspiration of this name, he has a sticky named A&C Reference Library).

In the meantime, is there an easy way to list "all the stickies" on PF? I suspect I can find a lot more useful references amoung them but haven't found an easy way to bring them up. I tried doing an advanced search on all sections by title, on 'sticky' which didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think a cool idea would be to have a button on the toolbar (the one with the buttons for Bold, Italic ... Quote, Link, etc) that, upon clicking, would open a little window with references organized by subject, this way it's easy to keep track of what references there are around and to make use of them. (references to external links i mean)

-Job- said:
I think a cool idea would be to have a button on the toolbar... that would open a little window with references organized by subject, this way it's easy to keep track of what references there are around and to make use of them. (references to external links i mean)
That's a great idea -Job- ! though I don't know how hard that would be to code into the PF software.
Besides the areas I've mentioned; there are many other useful references I've stumbled upon, embedded within present and archived threads that could be added to a Reference Library. Finding and adding them, would be a challenge but I believe do-able, if the PF membership were allowed to assist.
Since we already have a LINKS button organized by subject, perhaps it could be renamed "Reference Library" and all links could go in there? :rolleyes:

You guys actually can add links to the link library in the flash menu. In fact, I'm pretty sure that every link in one of those "reference libraries" or subject "napsters" should be added to that library. If you know there are some that are not, you can either add them or just tell us.

Last edited:
That's cool, so you already have the functionality. It would be nice though to be able to browse these links while you're posting. Given that you already have everything implemented, making a version that displays the references in a little popup window wouldn't be a lot of work and it might make the links section more "popular".

-Job- said:
That's cool, so you already have the functionality. It would be nice though to be able to browse these links while you're posting. Given that you already have everything implemented, making a version that displays the references in a little popup window wouldn't be a lot of work and it might make the links section more "popular".
Just used tabs on your browser and open them up in one tab while you have your other page open in another. Then you can quickly bounce back and forth for the references. If you see other links that aren't currently in the links directory that are useful, feel free to add them.

One could also use your own Journal to store these URLs, including links to previous posts that you find helpful. In addition, I envisioned using the Journal to keep handy snippets of explanations that I use often. However, LaTeX doesn't seem to work in it.

I, uhm.., use IE.

-Job- said:
I, uhm.., use IE.

Well, we can hardly, in good conscience, encourage that, no? Actually, we cannot open the links library in tabs directly, either, because it can't be done from a flash menu. What those of us not using IE can do, however, is open the links library and then open the PF main page in a second tab from there.

What i was thinking though was a popup, in which one could click the appropriate references and it would add them to the body of the post automatically.

Thanks loseyourname & Moonbear,
It sounds like you are saying, we have the "administrative nod" to add any useful references (both external and internal) to that library and are not concerned with redundancy (links listed in multiple places on PF).

Example: from Introductory Physics Tutorials PF section, a PF member posted a helpful tutorial on Karnaugh Maps
(I know this is useful in designing digital electronics, but not sure how applicable to other subjects, maybe math)
It would be appropriate to make an entry in LINKS such as:
Under this path -- Links>Engineering Resources>Electrical Engineering>

"Digital Electronics - Karnaugh Maps (tutorial authored by Kenneth Mann) - submitted by Ouabache"

And if someone else felt it might be useful as part of Boolean Algebra, it could also be listed
Under this path -- Links>Mathematics Resources>General Mathematics>

"Boolean Algebra - Karnaugh Maps (tutorial authored by Kenneth Mann) - submitted by HelpfulPFer"

Last edited:
robphy said:
One could also use your own Journal to store these URLs, including links to previous posts that you find helpful. In addition, I envisioned using the Journal to keep handy snippets of explanations that I use often. However, LaTeX doesn't seem to work in it.
That's a great idea too! I hadn't thought about using the Journal to store handy information. That is too bad that LaTeX doesn't work in there :grumpy:

The LaTex engine actually produces images in .png format, so a way for you guys to use Latex in the journals i guess would be to post it on a thread then right click on the image produced by the LaTex engine, select properties, obtain the link, and post it on your journal as a regular image. For example, got this from another post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/83/833117-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
Thanks loseyourname & Moonbear,
It sounds like you are saying, we have the "administrative nod" to add any useful references (both external and internal) to that library and are not concerned with redundancy (links listed in multiple places on PF).
Right. The library is meant to help consolidate the links posted all over the forums. It started out with the links that had been posted in the various "napster" sticky threads (that were later un-"stuck" once the links were put in the directory). If the directory let's you add links, then you have the permission to do it. If it doesn't, then I don't mind if you send me a PM with the list of links to add (I'm pretty sure regular members can add to the directory, not just staff)...I just ask that you wait until you have a bunch and send them all at once so I don't have to add one or two every few days.

Okay, for you IE users, although I'm so reluctant to encourage your continued dependence on IE :biggrin:, you can just open more than one window and keep the one with the links directory minimized and available for when you need it. :wink:

Moonbear said:
Right. The library is meant to help consolidate the links posted all over the forums. If the directory let's you add links, then you have the permission to do it.
That will work, I've posted to LINKS before :smile:

How about my suggestion to rename it Reference Library or something like that? LINKS sounded so generic, I didn't even think to look in there for references until someone pointed it out to me. I would suppose I'm not the only one who's missed it.

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
That will work, I've posted to LINKS before :smile:
How about my suggestion to rename it Reference Library or something like that? LINKS sounded so generic, I didn't even think to look in there for references until someone pointed it out to me.
Do you have a shorter alternative name to suggest that will fit in the menu button? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Do you have a shorter alternative name to suggest that will fit in the menu button? :biggrin:
How about "References" ? (the same length as 'guidelines') :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1. How do queries help in research?

Queries are a great tool for gathering useful references in research. By using keywords and operators, queries can narrow down a search and provide relevant sources for a particular topic. This saves time and effort in finding reliable information.

2. What are some common operators used in queries?

Some common operators used in queries include AND, OR, NOT, and quotation marks. These operators can be used to specify relationships between keywords and refine search results.

3. Can I use queries for any type of research?

Yes, queries can be used for any type of research. They are particularly useful for academic research, but can also be used in other fields such as marketing, business, and science.

4. How do I choose the right keywords for my query?

Choosing the right keywords for a query depends on the research topic and the type of information you are looking for. It is important to be specific and use terms that are relevant to your topic. You can also try brainstorming related words or phrases to include in your query.

5. Are there any tips for optimizing queries?

Yes, there are a few tips for optimizing queries. First, use specific and relevant keywords. Also, try using different combinations of keywords and operators to refine your search and get more precise results. Additionally, consider using advanced search options offered by search engines to further narrow down your query.