Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Query about website

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    Am researching on the blast simulation. So tout of adding d effect of blast in my presentation in order to give audience the feel of how large the effect can be.
    I will use the following site
    meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
    Can you please throw some light on whether the given map includes the effect due to nuclear weapon blast only OR due to any other kind of blast too?

Thank you in advance,
    TheSymbol

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    I suggest you study the linked website more closely. Directly under the map it states:

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the reply again.

But my doubt is not about the effect. I wanted to know whether the detonation like IEDs can also be considered here, which do not fall under the Nuclear category.

Regards,
    TheSymbol

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

IEDs usually have minimal explosive capacity and rely on shrapnel damage rather than blast.
    Of course, there are IEDs such as for OklahomaCity blast using several tons of fuel oil and ammonium nitrate, but even they have less than a 0.01kt yield, where the HYDES maps may not scale well.
    A mining handbook might be more helpful, as reliable blast prediction is of importance there.

6. Aug 17, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the reply :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook