Query - Charles Pierce

• Thread starter Quest
  • Start date
In summary, Charles Peirce believed in the scientific method and applied it to philosophy, stating that the meaning of a concept is determined by its practical consequences and that the best way to understand something is to experiment and observe its effects.
Quest
Query - Charles Peirce

I have only just started really slowly understanding the readings of Charles Peirce, but I still have a few questions. If I understand correctly, Charles Peirce agrees with the scientific method, but how would he explain a few of this questions:

- What is his (CP's) accurate view of the scientific method? Does he agree it is the only method?
- Is the scientific method CP's/a philosophers view to prove a way of life? If so how? Or is it CP's way of life (seeing he was a scientist himself, it might seem a redundant question)?
- What is his way of proving things through the scientific method? Is it also through Observing, Question, Hypothesizing, & Experimenting? Or is there another way he proves this?
- What is CP’s belief of the way scientific method works?

These questions are probably tied together but if it can be explained separately I’ll appreciate it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quest said:
I have only just started really slowly understanding the readings of Charles Pierce, but I still have a few questions. If I understand correctly, Charles Pierce agrees with the scientific method, but how would he explain a few of this questions:

- What is his (CP's) accurate view of the scientific method? Does he agree it is the only method?
- Is the scientific method CP's/a philosophers view to prove a way of life? If so how? Or is it CP's way of life (seeing he was a scientist himself, it might seem a redundant question)?
- What is his way of proving things through the scientific method? Is it also through Observing, Question, Hypothesizing, & Experimenting? Or is there another way he proves this?
- What is CP’s belief of the way scientific method works?

These questions are probably tied together but if it can be explained separately I’ll appreciate it

I assume you mean Charles Peirce (not "Pierce"). He is one of my all-time favorite philosophers, having been the father of philosophical "pragmatism." He does not dispute the scientific method. He was a trained and devoted physical scientist, and he believed the "hard core" aspects of science might be applied to philosophy as well. His ideas were meant to demonstrate there is an intrinsic relationship between meaning and action such that the nature of meaning can be clarified only by reference to action. As he said, "certain lines of conduct will entail certain kinds of inevitable experiences."

Peirce said, "For the typical experimentalist, you will find that whatever assertion you may make to him, he will either understand as meaning that if given prescription for an experiment ever can be and ever is carried out in act, an experience of a given description will result, or else he will see no sense at all in what you say."

So say, for instance, you are wondering if the best way to get your child to learn self-discipline is to control every aspect of his life until he leaves home, or if possibly you should let him do what he pleases, or if some blend of control and freedom is best. A pragmatist will attempt various approaches trying to see what works "most effectively" to help the child learn self-discipline. The pragmatist will NOT assume the truth of an approach from its practical consequences; rather, practical consequences are used as a guide for further experiments.

The "pragmatic axiom" might be characterized by the following Peirce quotes:

"Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our concept of those effects is the whole of our conception of the object."

"In order to ascertain the meaning of an intellectual conception one should consider what practical consequences might conceivably result by necessity from the truth of that conception, and the sum of these consequences will constitute the entire meaning of the conception."

"If one can define accurately all the conceivable experimental phenomena which the affirmation or denial of a concept could imply, one will have therein a complete definition of the concept, and there is absolutely nothing more in it."

Personally, I wish PF would adopt this as the ideal for philosophizing here. That is, insist aspiring philosophers be able to link conceptions to observable actions (as much as possible anyway) so we can see if they "work" as predicted.

Last edited:

Charles Peirce was a philosopher and scientist who contributed significantly to the development of pragmatism, a philosophical approach that emphasizes the practical consequences of beliefs and actions. Peirce believed that the scientific method was the most reliable way of acquiring knowledge about the world, but he also recognized its limitations and the importance of incorporating other methods of inquiry.

To answer your first question, Peirce's view of the scientific method can be summarized as a process of inquiry that involves observation, experimentation, and the formation of hypotheses. He believed that this method was the most effective way of understanding the world and making reliable predictions about it. However, he did not see it as the only method of inquiry and recognized the value of other approaches, such as intuition and logic.

Regarding your second question, Peirce did not see the scientific method as a means to prove a particular way of life. Instead, he viewed it as a tool for acquiring knowledge and understanding the world. As a scientist himself, he recognized the importance of empirical evidence and experimentation in forming beliefs and making decisions.

In terms of how Peirce used the scientific method to prove things, he emphasized the role of hypothesis formation and testing. He believed that through observation and experimentation, we can formulate hypotheses and test them to see if they align with our observations and predictions. This process allows us to continually refine our understanding of the world.

Finally, Peirce's belief about the way the scientific method works is closely tied to his pragmatist philosophy. He saw the scientific method as a continuous process of inquiry and experimentation, where theories and beliefs are constantly being tested and refined. This process allows us to make practical and reliable predictions about the world, but it also requires openness to new evidence and a willingness to revise our beliefs when necessary.

I hope this helps to answer your questions about Charles Peirce and his views on the scientific method. It is important to note that his ideas are complex and may require further study and analysis to fully understand.

1. Who is Charles Pierce?

Charles Pierce was an American philosopher, logician, and semiotician known for his contributions to the fields of logic and philosophy of language. He was a professor at Harvard University and authored several books and articles on the subjects.

2. What are some of Charles Pierce's major contributions to science?

Charles Pierce made significant contributions to the fields of logic and philosophy of language. He is best known for his development of the theory of pragmatism, which emphasized the practical effects of beliefs and ideas. He also made important contributions to semiotics, the study of communication and signs.

3. How did Charles Pierce's work influence modern scientific thinking?

Charles Pierce's work has had a lasting impact on modern scientific thinking. His theory of pragmatism has been influential in fields such as psychology, linguistics, and sociology. His ideas about semiotics have also been applied in various disciplines, including communication, anthropology, and literary theory.

4. What are some criticisms of Charles Pierce's theories?

Some critics argue that Charles Pierce's theories, particularly his theory of pragmatism, are too vague and difficult to apply in practice. Others have criticized his ideas about semiotics, arguing that they are overly complex and not applicable to all forms of communication.

5. How has Charles Pierce's work been received by the scientific community?

Charles Pierce's work has been widely recognized and praised by the scientific community. His theories have been influential in many fields and continue to be studied and built upon by researchers. However, there are also some who disagree with his ideas and continue to debate their validity and applicability.