Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor on PF Forum

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the usefulness and moderation of the PF Forum. The speaker suggests a query system to find which threads a certain member has replied to. Mentors and their roles are also discussed, with Bystander being mentioned as a Science Advisor and Homework Helper. The speaker expresses a desire to thank Bystander for their help.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Happy New Year.
This forum is very, very useful, helpful and elegant. Heavily moderated.
I find this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/give-credit-to-the-mentors.848493/ [Broken]
As many of you might know.
I just realize that to thank every mentors that alread answer our questions is very difficult.
Perhaps if it's not against the rule, we can query PF Forum.
For example:
Which threads that I, as a starter, have a particular mentor (or advisor or insight author) has replied.

Perhaps I can't express myself clearly. But this what I might have done.
Supposed: ThreadTable is the thread table
and PostTable is the posting inside the ThreadTable, PostTable is many to one relationship with ThreadTable.

Supposed I want to find how many threads that Janus have replied to my thread.
Code:
select ThreadTable.ThreadTitle
from ThreadTable
inner join PostTable on PostTable.ThreadId = ThreadTable.ThreadId
where (ThreadTable.Starter = MyUserName) and (PostTable.MemberName = "Janus")
group by  ThreadTable.ThreadTitle

I know that this is highly illegal for any member to do such query like this in SQL and accessing PF server.
It's just that I just remember something with my thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hydrogen-ion-antioxidant.850337/
I remember "ByStander" name. He/She has many times replied my thread. And I forgot to thank him/her in Give Credit to Mentors.
Not that I want every member can query PF server, perhaps if there is a dialog box for us to display just our own thread that has particular member who posted in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg could run such a query, there is no forum feature doing this and I don't think it would be used frequently.

Mentors are marked with a green "Staff: Mentor" (see left for an example). They moderate the forums - this task is independent of the thread discussions, and good posts in threads come from all forum members independent of their user group.

mfb said:
...Mentors are marked with a green "Staff: Mentor"
Yes I know.
mfb said:
They moderate the forums - this task is independent of the thread discussions, and good posts in threads come from all forum members independent of their user group.
Yes I know.
Ok, thanks.

Stephanus said:
I remember "ByStander" name. He/She has many times replied my thread. And I forgot to thank him/her in Give Credit to Mentors.
Bystander is not a mentor, although he deserves thanks.

Evo said:
Bystander is not a mentor, although he deserves thanks.
Yes, I know. Bystander is a Science Advisor and Homework Helper. What I mean is this.
Supposed I want to query which thread a certain member has replied to me (whether he/she is an advisor, helper or insight author or just an ordinary member) that has me as a starter.
Thanks for the explanation.

What is "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor"?

"Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor" is a feature on the PF (Physics Forums) forum that allows users to filter and view threads that have been answered by mentors, who are experienced members of the community. This feature is helpful for those seeking reliable and accurate answers to their questions.

How can I access "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor"?

To access "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor", simply go to the PF forum and click on the "Forums" tab in the navigation bar. From there, select the forum category you are interested in and then click on the "Threads Answered by a Mentor" link on the sidebar. This will take you to a filtered view of threads that have been answered by mentors.

Why should I use "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor"?

"Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor" is a useful tool for those seeking accurate and reliable answers to their questions. Mentors on PF are experienced members of the community who have demonstrated a high level of knowledge and expertise in their respective fields. By using this feature, you can be confident that the information and answers you receive are from knowledgeable and trustworthy sources.

What types of questions can I find in "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor"?

You can find a wide range of questions and topics in "Finding Threads Answered by a Mentor". These questions have been answered by mentors in various fields such as physics, mathematics, engineering, and more. You can also filter the threads by subject, making it easier to find the specific information you are looking for.

How can I become a mentor on PF?

To become a mentor on PF, you must first be an active member of the community and have a good understanding of your field of expertise. Mentors are chosen by the forum moderators based on their contributions and knowledge. If you believe you have the qualifications to become a mentor, you can reach out to the moderators and express your interest in the role.