Dirac Notation: Understanding <m|x|n> and Its Relation to Eigenstates

In summary, the question is asking for a nonzero energy state for the harmonic oscillator when m and n are both equal to 1. The answer is that <m|A|n> is nonzero if and only if m=n+1.
Marthius
I have recently finished reading a section on this notation, and while i though i understood it, i now find myself lost

The question is to show that
<m|x|n>
Is zero unless m = n + or - 1

As I understand it so far <m| and |n> correspond to the eigenstates of an arbitrary system and x is just supposed to be the x operator

The only thing i could think to do with his was plug into
[tex]\int[/tex]m*xn dx but that did not help me

I also susspect i need to use that
<m|n>=[tex]\delta[/tex]mn

If anyone could give me a nudge in the correct direction it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is meant to be about the energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator, not an arbitrary system.

I'm sry, but I still do not really understand where to go with this, I suppose I can use |n> = the nth eigenstate of the harmonic oscillator, but isn't the x operator just x?

Haven't you seen the "ladder operators" a^+ and a^-?

borgwal said:
Haven't you seen the "ladder operators" a^+ and a^-?

I have, and if x were a ladder operator this would be trivial, but I thought it was supposed to be the x (position) operator...

You can write the x operator in terms of the ladder operators. Your question is trivial, too.

So then would i write
[tex]x=.5*\sqrt{2h/mw}(A+A^{+})[/tex]?
and distribute out getting
(<m|A|n>+<m|A^+|n>) * some constant

Marthius said:
So then would i write
[tex]x=.5*\sqrt{2h/mw}(A+A^{+})[/tex]?
and distribute out getting
(<m|A|n>+<m|A^+|n>) * some constant

Indeed! And all you need is to show for what m,n combinations <m|A|n>+<m|A^+|n> is nonzero, which as you said is trivial.

It makes sense now, thank you for your help

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the state of a quantum system. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators.

2. How is Dirac notation written?

Dirac notation is typically written as a combination of a "ket" vector and a "bra" vector, represented as |ket> and

3. What is the significance of the "bra-ket" notation in Dirac notation?

The "bra-ket" notation in Dirac notation allows for a concise and convenient way to represent complex quantum states and operators. It also allows for simple mathematical operations, such as inner products and outer products, to be written in a compact form.

4. How is the inner product of two quantum states represented in Dirac notation?

The inner product of two quantum states is represented as , where is the second state vector. This operation is also known as taking the "overlap" of two states and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

5. What is the relationship between Dirac notation and the Schrödinger equation?

Dirac notation is closely related to the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. The ket vector in Dirac notation represents the state of the system at a particular time, and the Hamiltonian operator, which is used in the Schrödinger equation, is represented by the bra-ket notation as .