1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quesion on Equilibrium of coplanar force

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    I having diffculty trying to sovle this Question: Determine the reaction components at the supports of the beam due to the distribted shown

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

You have a non-uniform udl from A to B.
    Convert it to a udl of 2kips/ft from A to B with a non-uniform udl from A to the half-way point, ranging from 2 kips/ft down to 0, on top of it.
    You should be able to work out the reaction/load and moment, about the point A, from the uniform udl.
    Work out the reaction/load and moment, also about A, of the non-uniform udl.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Fermat you could use calculus, but it's not necessary, simply work out the areas, for the first, work it as a triangle and rectangle. Remember the area of distributed will give you the magnitude of the concentrated force from A to the middle and for the distributed force from the middle to C. Remember the forces will act on the centroid of the figures, then solve it like a concentrated force problem.

5. Oct 21, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

I didn't need calculus for the load of the non-uniform udl, but used it to work out the moment. It must be about 30 yrs since I did this stuff! Thanks for the update.
    Sorry about that Sunnywho, and Cyclovenom has just simplified your problem.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    thanks...for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?