Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quesion on Equilibrium of coplanar force

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    I having diffculty trying to sovle this Question: Determine the reaction components at the supports of the beam due to the distribted shown

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

You have a non-uniform udl from A to B.
    Convert it to a udl of 2kips/ft from A to B with a non-uniform udl from A to the half-way point, ranging from 2 kips/ft down to 0, on top of it.
    You should be able to work out the reaction/load and moment, about the point A, from the uniform udl.
    Work out the reaction/load and moment, also about A, of the non-uniform udl.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Fermat you could use calculus, but it's not necessary, simply work out the areas, for the first, work it as a triangle and rectangle. Remember the area of distributed will give you the magnitude of the concentrated force from A to the middle and for the distributed force from the middle to C. Remember the forces will act on the centroid of the figures, then solve it like a concentrated force problem.

5. Oct 21, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

I didn't need calculus for the load of the non-uniform udl, but used it to work out the moment. It must be about 30 yrs since I did this stuff! Thanks for the update.
    Sorry about that Sunnywho, and Cyclovenom has just simplified your problem.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    thanks...for the help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook