Question 18 GCSE higher tier

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcse
In summary, the conversation discusses solving two equations involving fractions and substitution. The first equation is solved for x, which is then used to solve the second equation. The conversation also gives advice on how to simplify the solutions and emphasizes the importance of keeping numbers as rationals on non-calculator papers.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

(a) [tex]\frac{3}{x}+\frac{3}{2x} = 2 [/tex]
that is 4x = 9 so x = 2.25

(b) I can do the first question (a) easy peasy , however the secnond question says "using your answer to part (a), or otherwise solve:
[tex]\frac{3}{(y-1)^{2}}+\frac{3}{2(y-1)^{2}} = 2[/tex]

What part of (a) do I use to solve part (b)

The Attempt at a Solution

for (b)
1) Expand (y-1)² = y² - 2y + 1
2) Expand 2(y-1)² = 2(y² - 2y + 1 ) = 2y² - 4y + 2
3) Double 1'st fraction to get equal denominators then add fractions
[tex]\frac{6}{2y^{2} - 4y + 2}[/tex]
4) Crossmultiply so you get [tex]3 = 4y^{2} - 8y + 4[/tex]
then complete the square
(4y - 4)² - 16 + 4 = 3
y = [tex]\frac{4 +- \sqrt{15}}{4}[/tex]

but that GETS a bit complicated for NON CALCULATOR level so i tried using the formula which gave me y = 1 or 1 (when at the bottom of the question there is 2 answers). Have I made a mistake in my calculations, and what about using part (a) to help answer part (b), I havn't done that, how do they link in together?

Thx
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to do anything like that. The clue is in the "using your answer to part (a)" part of the question. Do the two equations look similar? Can you spot a substitution of variables that will change the equation in (a) to that in (b)?

If its a non-calculator paper I'd suggest leaving that 2.25 as a rational. It will be easier to simplify later on in the question. Just an extra bit of advice :smile:

(b)l is like (a)... the first fraction is doubled to make equal denominators, both factions added together equal 2 and both have same nuerators.

so

[tex]\frac{6}{2(y-1)^{2}}+\frac{3}{2(y-1)^{2}} = 2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{9}{2(y-1)^{2}} = 2 [/tex]

yet I am still not using my answer to part (a)... I am missing somthing arn't I

Thx

How would you turn the fraction in part (b) into the fraction in part (a)?

Suppose if you substituted x=(y-1)^2 into the second equation. What form does the equation turn into?

it turns into the one from part (a). So where saying x is now the quadratic y² - 2y + 1?

So if [tex] x=\frac{9}{4} [/tex] from part (a) and [tex] x=(y-1)^2[/tex] how will you solve for y?

(y - 1)² = 9/4
y² - 2y + 1 = 9/4
then do i just complete square/use quadratic formula?

So you have [tex](y-1)^2 = \frac{9}{4} [/tex]. You can simply take the square root. There is no need to factor this.

[tex](y-1)^2 = \frac{9}{4} [/tex]

so y-1 = 3/2
y = 1/1 + 3/2 = 2/2 + 3/2 = 5/2
so
y = [tex]1\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
cheerz

thomas49th said:
[tex](y-1)^2 = \frac{9}{4} [/tex]

so y-1 = 3/2
y = 1/1 + 3/2 = 2/2 + 3/2 = 5/2
so
y = [tex]1\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
cheerz

You're missing a solution-- remember you said there was space for two solutions? Well, if [itex](y-1)^2=x[/itex] then [itex](y-1)=\pm\sqrt x[/itex].

And I hope you understand the importance of keeping numbers as rationals on the non-calculator paper. You probably would have lost a mark for an answer like [tex] \pm\sqrt{2.25} +1[/tex].

Good luck for next Monday!

yeh I do, wouldn't of spotted 9/4 being good to root. super duper
Thx

1. What is Question 18 GCSE higher tier?

Question 18 on the GCSE higher tier exam is a problem-solving question that usually involves multiple steps and may require the use of a calculator. It tests students' ability to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-life scenario.

2. How much is Question 18 worth on the exam?

Question 18 is typically worth more points than other questions on the exam, as it is considered one of the more challenging questions. Its value may vary depending on the specific exam and subject.

3. How should I prepare for Question 18 on the GCSE higher tier exam?

To prepare for Question 18, it is important to review and understand the key concepts and formulas related to the subject being tested. Practice solving similar types of problems and make sure to show all steps and calculations in your work.

4. Can I use a calculator on Question 18?

Yes, calculators are allowed for Question 18 on the GCSE higher tier exam. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct functions and entering numbers correctly to avoid making mistakes.

5. How much time should I spend on Question 18?

The amount of time you spend on Question 18 will depend on your personal speed and understanding of the question. It is recommended to budget your time and allocate more time for this question compared to others, as it may require more calculations and critical thinking.