Calculating Density of Free Electrons in a Metal Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current, drift velocity, and the density of free electrons in a metallic wire. The formula I = nqva is used to calculate the current, with n representing the density of free electrons and q representing the magnitude of the charge on a charge carrier. The SI unit for n is m^-3 and the exact value for q is unknown.
kyang002
A metallic wire has a diameter of 4.12 mm. When the current in the wire is 8 A, the drift velocity is 5.4*10^-5 m/s.

What is the density of free electrons in the metal?

I have considered a wire of cross-sectional area A, with current I. V is the drift velocity of the free charges in the conductor and n is the number of charged particles per unit volume. Then the current is given by I = nqva, where q is the magnitude of the charge on a charge carrier.

I = 8
n = density??
A = (2.06)^2 * 3.14
v = 5.4 x 10^-5
q = ??

I am unsure of how to finish the problem. We are looking for n. But what is q? Are all my other numbers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
All u need to know (and apparently u don't) is that
[tex] j=n_{el}e v [/tex]

Daniel.

I am unsure of what the equation you gave was. In my book, I was given I = nqva.

Care to explain on how to do the problem?

Yes,the two formulas are obviously equivalent.It's better to use yours as it has already built in the numbers/variables u need to plug in.
What is "n" (or as i denoted it,n_{el.}) & what is its SI unit...?

Daniel.

The SI unit is m^-3.

How do I find q? Or do I even need q in this equation?

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of free electrons in a metal wire?

The formula for calculating the density of free electrons in a metal wire is n = N/V, where n is the density of free electrons, N is the total number of free electrons, and V is the volume of the wire.

2. How is the total number of free electrons in a metal wire determined?

The total number of free electrons in a metal wire is determined by the number of atoms in the wire and the number of valence electrons in each atom. This can be calculated using the Avogadro's number and the atomic mass of the metal.

3. What is the unit of measurement for density of free electrons?

The unit of measurement for density of free electrons is electrons per cubic meter (e/m3).

4. What factors can affect the density of free electrons in a metal wire?

The density of free electrons in a metal wire can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities in the metal, and external electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does the density of free electrons in a metal wire relate to its electrical conductivity?

The density of free electrons in a metal wire is directly proportional to its electrical conductivity. This means that a higher density of free electrons results in a higher conductivity, while a lower density of free electrons results in a lower conductivity.