1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question 2

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    A metallic wire has a diameter of 4.12 mm. When the current in the wire is 8 A, the drift velocity is 5.4*10^-5 m/s.

What is the density of free electrons in the metal?

I have considered a wire of cross-sectional area A, with current I. V is the drift velocity of the free charges in the conductor and n is the number of charged particles per unit volume. Then the current is given by I = nqva, where q is the magnitude of the charge on a charge carrier.

I = 8
    n = density??
    A = (2.06)^2 * 3.14
    v = 5.4 x 10^-5
    q = ??

I am unsure of how to finish the problem. We are looking for n. But what is q? Are all my other numbers correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All u need to know (and apparently u don't) is that
    [tex] j=n_{el}e v [/tex]

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3
    I am unsure of what the equation you gave was. In my book, I was given I = nqva.

Care to explain on how to do the problem?
  5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,the two formulas are obviously equivalent.It's better to use yours as it has already built in the numbers/variables u need to plug in.
    What is "n" (or as i denoted it,n_{el.}) & what is its SI unit...?

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    The SI unit is m^-3.

How do I find q? Or do I even need q in this equation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?