Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question 3

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    Question 4

What is the charge q_1?

What is the charge q_2?

What is the charge q_3?

Unsure of which equation to use, and the equations that I am looking at involve integration.

Φ = integral (E * dA) = EA sphere

Φ = q / ε

Can someone teach me how to do this problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT:Use the property of the electric flux (which is a scalar) of adding wrt the same surface.You'll have to solve a very simple system of equations...

Daniel.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3
    Property of Electric Flux = EA cos theta? But there is no theta. Unsure of the area and of the E.

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No.Let be [itex] \Phi_{1} [/itex] the electric flux generated by a charge [itex] q_{1} [/itex] through the (closed) surface S.Similar [itex] \Phi_{2} [/itex] for q_{2} [/itex].Then the total flux is simply the sum of Phi's which,due to the same denominator (epsilon),translates to the charges...

Daniel.

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    So what is the charge of q_1, q_2, and q_3?

-q/E + (-2q/E) + 3q/E = 0/E = 0

The charge of each is 0?

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,you have to write equations of the type phi_{1}+phi_{2}=phi_{tot} for all 3 surfaces & will end up with an algebraic system of 3 eqn. with 3 unknowns,namely the charges.

Daniel.

8. Feb 4, 2005 #7
    Okay, got it. The answers are 2q, q, -3q. Am I correct?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook