What is the force of the floor on her feet?

In summary: This is why the time is so short; the floor doesn't take long at all to accelerate the woman in the opposite direction.

Homework Statement

A 55 kg woman jumps to the floor from a height of 1.5 m.

If her body comes to rest during a time interval of 8.00 * 10^-3 seconds, what is the force of the floor on her feet?

Homework Equations

Unit conversion and
g = 9.8m.s^2 ~ 10 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understand it, she is at rest, so

Fnet = 0

Fnormal - Fg = 0

Fnormal = Fg = mg = 550 N

This is wrong, and the answer is around 300 N. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively, does your result make sense to you?

You just said the answer is mg, so the force on her feet is independent of the height from which she jumps. Tell me--if you jump from a step to the ground, do you think you feel the same force as if jumping out of a skyscraper?

What she's really doing is colliding with the ground. During that time she experiences an average force. Can you figure out what this average force is?

Also, are you sure that the answer is 300 N?

RobLikesBrunc said:
Also, are you sure that the answer is 300 N?

Sorry, 3.8 * 10^4 N

Right, so her impact force would be something like

Fi = ma = m * v / t

v at 8 * 10^-3 would be

Vf = Vi + at = 0 - 9.81m/s^2 * 8 * 10^-3 s = 0.07848 m / s

F = (0.078 m/s / 8*10^-3 s) * 55kg = 0.00053625 N

Which would be wrong, considering it would have to be opposite of this force and this would be too small

I know that F= ma, so her Fg - Fi has to = 0

x86 said:

Look at this carefully and tell me what you did wrong. Don't blindly use equations; think!

RobLikesBrunc said:
Look at this carefully and tell me what you did wrong. Don't blindly use equations; think!

All of the units cancel out well, to provide me with (m/s). I'm assuming that initial velocity is zero (when she steps off the object, her initial velocity will be zero). This should get me her velocity at time t. I don't see any error, except for the sign of the answer (which would be negative in this case due to gravity, going down)

im going to disregard my old attempt and retry another.

At t = 0.008, she should still be in the air, considering she's in the air for...

d = vi * t - g/2 t^2
d = -4.9m/s^2 * 0.008^2 s ^2

At t = 0.008 seconds, she's still in the air (only fallen -0.3136 millimeters). It seems impossible for her to be at rest, because she's not touching the floor yet

Last edited:
x86 said:

All of the units cancel out well, to provide me with (m/s). I'm assuming that initial velocity is zero (when she steps off the object, her initial velocity will be zero). This should get me her velocity at time t. I don't see any error.

8.00 * 10^-3 seconds is not the time that she drops for--it's the time period of her collision with the ground (i.e. the time period where the force from ground is still accelerating her up). So her final velocity has nothing to do with 8.00 * 10^-3 seconds.

x86 said:
At t = 0.008, she should still be in the air, considering she's in the air for...

d = vi * t - g/2 t^2

At t = 0.008 seconds, she's still in the air (only fallen -0.3136 millimeters). It seems impossible for her to be at rest, because she's not touching the floor yet

Okay, I see the confusion. The question is poorly worded and assumes familiarity with the type of problem it's asking.

It's really saying "The woman's body comes to rest within 8.00 * 10^-3 seconds after contacting the floor". So, the floor is accelerating her up for 8.00 * 10^-3 seconds AFTER she contacts the floor.

Okay, so her final velocity is 5.4 m/s [down], and she's in the air for 0.15 seconds.

Thank you for your help and for clearing up the confusion.

(5.4 m/s)/(8.00 * 10^-3 s) * 55 kg = 37 125 Newtons

x86 said:
Okay, so her final velocity is 5.4 m/s [down], and she's in the air for 0.15 seconds.

Thanks you for your help and for clearing up the confusion.

(5.4 m/s)/(8.00 * 10^-3 s) * 55 kg = 37 125 Newtons

Correct (you have a rounding error, the velocity rounded should be 5.5 m/s--should get you closer to 3.8 * 10^(4) N).

x86 said:
d = vi * t - g/2 t^2

This calculation seems plausible. Can someone explain why it's wrong?

coconut62 said:
This calculation seems plausible. Can someone explain why it's wrong?

Because the time he used is a measure of how long it takes the floor to accelerate the woman in the opposite direction once she's impacted the form. It is the duration during which the floor is accelerating her (and, physically, it stems from the impact of the woman deforming the surface of the floor).

1. What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics is a branch of physics that focuses on the motion of objects along a straight line, without considering the causes of the motion.

2. What are the basic equations used in 1D Kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1D Kinematics are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How is 1D Kinematics different from other branches of physics?

1D Kinematics is different from other branches of physics because it only considers motion in one dimension, while other branches may also consider motion in multiple dimensions or the forces causing the motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 1D Kinematics?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. How can 1D Kinematics be applied in real-world situations?

1D Kinematics can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the distance and time of a car traveling on a straight road or predicting the position of a projectile launched at a certain angle.