Question about a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem.

In summary, the problem was that when the mass on the left was accelerated upwards by g/5, the mass on the right had to go downwards by 2g to keep the system in equilibrium.
pirland
I was working my way through a series of problems when I came up against one that has me stuck. If anyone here can assist I would certainly appreaciate it. I found a exact copy of the problem online here: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Newtonian/Newtonian_145.htm
Problem #13

I have tried several different methods for solving this and most commonly I come up with a upward acceleration of g. Never anything less then g. Am I missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
when I solved it I got g/4. The easy way is to redraw the situation, thing of the weight on the right as pulling on the one on the left, because there is a pulley system in the middle and the rope to the one on the right is going through it entirely, then you need half the force to lift the fulley on the left. You have masses of m, and the force pulling in this case is mg. So, the overall force on the pylley system is 1/2mg since the one on the left is pulling at 1/2mg down, and the one on the left is pulling at 1mg down.
F = 1g - 1/2g
F = 1/2g
m = m + m = 2m
Fnet = ma
1/2mg = 2ma
1/2g = 2a
g/4 = a, therefore the acceleration in this case should be g/4 towards the left, pulling the weight on the left upward at that acceleration. The answer they say is g/5, I don't know where I went wrong or weather they are wrong.

Nenad said:
when I solved it I got g/4. ...The answer they say is g/5, I don't know where I went wrong or weather they are wrong.
when I did it I got g/5
the answer they have in the book

let me look at your solution and see what I think then

nenad i don't understand your notation so instead of me trying to criticize your solution how about you try to find what is wrong in my solution.

they say leftmass experiences upwards accel of x (and therefore ropeforce on leftmass is upwards (g+x)M)

but because of pulleysystem when leftmass goes up one inch
then rightmass must go down two inches. therefore rightmass experiences
downwards accel of 2x (and therefore ropeforce on rightmass is upwards (g-2x)M)

now we have to equate forces

Two times the tension in the right rope equals the tension in the left rope.

so (g+x)M = 2(g - 2x)M

g+x = 2g - 4x

5x = g

x = g/5

ya, the way you did it was right, but I don't do it using that method of tension of ropes. I used acceleration of the system. You find the forse on each block, then you fing the total force on the system by subtractiong the two, and then fond the acceleration. I still don't know where I went wrong.

The easiest way to get a solution IMO is the Lagrangian formulation, same as all pulley problems :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics

Of course they don't teach this formulation till after you have had a bunch of pulley problems, because it makes them too easy :smile: :smile:

Let h be the height of the mass on the left. If we move the left mass up h, the right mass drops twice that distance, it's height lowers by 2*h

Then the total kinetic energy T = .5*m*(hdot^2+4*hdot^2)
(the mass on the right is always moving at twice the velocity of the one on the left, so it has 4 times the kinetic energy)

The total potential energy is V = m*g*h - 2*m*g*h/2 = -m*g*h

So L = T-V = 5/2*m*hdot^2 + m*g*h

[tex]
d/dt (\frac{\partial L}{\partial hdot}) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial H}
[/tex]

5*m*hdotdot = m*g

so hdotdot, the acceleration of the mass on the left, is positive (upwards) at g/5.

Last edited:
tension does not equal weight

Nenad said:
ya, the way you did it was right, but I don't do it using that method of tension of ropes. I used acceleration of the system. You find the forse on each block, then you fing the total force on the system by subtractiong the two, and then fond the acceleration. I still don't know where I went wrong.
You went wrong by assuming that a mass m pulls down its rope with a force of mg. Not true if it's accelerating.

yes, thanks Doc Al, my mistake.

Thanks Everyone

Thank you everyone for the assistance, It was definatly the aright=2aleft factor that I was missing, I also ended up having to review more basic Atwood machine problems before I fully grasped it. Thanks again that one was driving me crazy.

1. What is a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem?

A 2 mass, multiple pulley problem is a physics problem that involves two masses connected by multiple pulleys and a rope or string. The goal of the problem is to determine the acceleration and tension of the system.

2. How do you solve a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem?

To solve a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem, you first need to draw a free-body diagram of the system. Then, use the equations of motion and the principles of Newton's laws to set up and solve a system of equations. Finally, plug in known values and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some common assumptions made when solving a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem?

Some common assumptions made when solving a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem include assuming the pulleys are massless and frictionless, the rope is inextensible, and the masses are point masses. These assumptions simplify the problem and make the calculations easier.

4. What are some real-life applications of a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem?

The principles used in solving a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem can be applied to real-life scenarios such as elevators, cranes, and even simple machines like a pulley system used to lift heavy objects. Understanding these concepts can help engineers design and improve upon these machines.

5. Are there any tips for solving a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem more efficiently?

One tip for solving a 2 mass, multiple pulley problem more efficiently is to clearly label all forces and variables in your free-body diagram. This will help you set up the equations correctly and avoid mistakes. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve them separately before combining the solutions to find the final answer.