1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a book

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if anyone here has used David Griffith's "Introduction to Elementary Particles." I am thinking of buying it but I am curious as to what prerequisites I need to get through the book. Do I need a course in quantum mechanics (which I will be taking in the fall) or is the necessary material from quantum mechanics covered in the book so I can get through it on my own. I appreciate any advice.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2
    I always thought that this book was like an intro to QM type text. I would check out amazon, possibly look up the Table of Contents, etc. Just from the title it seems like it is a beginner/intermediate QM text.
  4. Jul 26, 2008 #3
    Hello Someone1987, and welcome to PF :smile:

here is the beginning of the preface to David Griffith's "Introduction to Elementary Particles." I know this is copyrighted material, and it may be deleted by mentors if they decide to do so. I believe you should be able to read it to make up your mind, as you would if you could open it in a bookstore.
    I strongly recommend this book. The best would be if you can already read it from say a library and make up your mind whether it is suited for you to buy it.
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I own Griffiths, and while it is an excellent book, it assumes that one has some QM background - I would say a certain level of comfort, so that Griffiths can glide past a few intermediate steps in QM so he can focus on what the book is about: particles.

I don't know what book JasonJo is thinking of, but don't think it's this one.
  6. Jul 27, 2008 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think JasonJo is thinking of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, also authored by David Griffiths.
  7. Jul 27, 2008 #6
    I'm pretty sure that the excerpt you quoted is short enough to satisfy pretty much any definition of "fair use." See, for example, http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html:
  8. Jul 27, 2008 #7
    Yeap bingo, sorry about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?